Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Me

Fabio [PersonRank 9]

Monday, June 28, 2010
14 years ago10,646 views

Kevin Rose: "Ok, umm, huge rumor: Google to launch facebook competitor very soon "Google Me", very credible source"

http://twitter.com/kevinrose/status/17132231117

Fabio [PersonRank 9]

14 years ago #

Is Google Me the new Orkut? This is big!

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

It will only be "big" if Google has some special sauce to add.

Of course Google has plenty of sauces available in its condiments cabinet: OpenSocial, Buzz, Aardvark, Orkut ... and I can't help wondering whether WebFinger fits in here somewhere too.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

"special sauce"

decentralize it.

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Well I have to see it first, not sure about 'Google Me' in this case.

que [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

They could just go all in with: iGoogleMe

Some other condiments in their cupboard they could sprinkle in the special sauce:
Profiles, iGoogle, Gmail, Groups, YouTube, Picasa, Talk, Voice, Calendar, Reader, Sites, Blogger

Some other random Me's of note:
   Mobile Me
   Windows Me
   Rescue Me
   Despicable Me
   "Beer Me"
   "It's not you, it's me"

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

> Some other random Me's of note:

And Meego, the joint Intel/Nokia competitor to Android.

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

http://gizmodo.com/5575237/googles-facebook-killer-google-me-confirmed-by-former-facebook-cto

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

A lot of Google's home-made products go bust; Buzz, Lively etc. and on the opposite side of the scale a lot of their acquired products are huge successes; Android, Google Maps, Docs (Writely) etc.

This doesn't realy bode well for Google but last time there was a huge hubbub like this was Chrome's launch and Chrome has been a huge success (in my eyes at least) so hopefully this will be a large success like Chrome.

I think facebook needs a good competitor but I hope Google competes by being open rather than closed like facebook, allowing clear privacy controls and by giving people access to the data it collects via open APIs etc.

It would be also good to be able to import data from facebook (though I'm sure facebook wouldn't allow it) and other sources and more importantly export your data and the ability to terminate your account transparently unlike the fiasco that completely disabling faebook is!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

google me is heating up..!!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

a Facebook killer? Let's call it Orkut.

Franta H. [PersonRank 6]

14 years ago #

My guess is that it will be a fail. It would have to be substantially better to cause users to switch.

Fabio [PersonRank 9]

14 years ago #

Google Me, Facebook Competitor, Confirmed By Former Facebook CTO

<< D'Angelo's confirmation that Google Me is a "real project" and "not a rumor" comes after Digg founder Kevin Rose tweeted that a "very credible source" had revealed that Google was going to "launch facebook [sic] competitor very soon" called "Google Me." >>

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/29/google-me-facebook-compet_n_628997.html

Zim [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

If this is true, Google is arriving late at the party...

Heidegger [PersonRank 2]

14 years ago #

Google had a shot with Dodgeball, they blew it. Then again with Orkut, blew it. Google Buzz too.

I'm no fan of Google these days but I think they'll get it right with "Google Me" (if it exists).

Heidegger [PersonRank 2]

14 years ago #

<< A lot of Google's home-made products go bust; Buzz, Lively etc. and on the opposite side of the scale a lot of their acquired products are huge successes; Android, Google Maps, Docs (Writely) etc.

This doesn't realy bode well for Google but last time there was a huge hubbub like this was Chrome's launch and Chrome has been a huge success (in my eyes at least) so hopefully this will be a large success like Chrome. >>

GMail was another "home grown" product. It's a really big success IMO.

Was Maps acquired? I know Keyhole was but a lot of the product they developed themselves. Same about Writely. Today's Google Docs has little comparison to Writely. Android has also been largely developed by Google.

Some other Google fails – Google Video (YouTube was an acquisition and a success – but it was before the acquisition too), Google Answers (I liked it though), Checkout and Google Base.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!