Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The New Yahoo Mail is Really Good  (View post)

agarwalmk at hotmail dot com [PersonRank 0]

Friday, January 20, 2006
18 years ago

That's really good. You will be overwhelmed with Windows Live Mail. You can sign up for Windows Live Mail beta here,

http://www4.imagine-msn.com/minisites/mail/Default.aspx?locale=en-us

ChicagoSage [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I've been using the new Yahoo Mail for a little while now. Mostly it's pretty good, although it loads a little slow. But here are the features that the old Yahoo Mail had that I miss:

* One-click "My Attachments" and "My Photos" searches

* Spell-check (doesn't work in Firefox yet)

* Move to Folder from the message view – at this time you can only move a message to a folder from the Inbox view.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I still dont see this new UI for this mail beta. I wont shift my gmail account across to another platform. Having 2GB storage is great. I do have a new 1GM account with Hotmail, but the best spam filter is still w/gmail.

N. Godbout [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I was going to say it looks pretty good except for the massive amount of spam that was in your inbox, but then I noticed that they were all a days apart. How's the spam situation with Yahoo! mail in general?

Also that RSS reader function, is it like bloglines in that it marks new items read/unread? Or does it just tell you what the last x number of posts were on that blog?

18 years ago #

Windows Live Mail seems pretty cool in IE, but it doesn't do much in Firefox yet.

18 years ago #

The RSS reader is "River of News" style (http://www.reallysimplesyndication.com/riverOfNews). I don't like the RSS reader that much.

mike [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I got the pic of the page of Yahoo beta mail. I havnt got register yet though :((

http://www.yahoofanclub.com/about127.html

18 years ago #

The RSS reader is "River of News" style (http://www.reallysimplesyndication.com/riverOfNews). I don't like the RSS reader that much.

Dave [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

What system (OS/browser) did you test this on?

Ruben [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I'll probably continue to use gmail for real mail and Y! for junk after the beta is fully released. I do think Y! notepad and the calendar are the best extensions on any email prog. Looking forward to trying Y!'s rss feed.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I don't have this, and i would REALLY LIKE TO. HELLO? JERRY? DAVID?
I use the PREMIUM SBC Yahoo service..and we never get these features.
Who do I have to bribe here?

MacGyver [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

do I still have to enter my password everyday?

orli yakuel [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

i don't even consider replac Gmail with any other Mail service
:-)
we just love to be excited from new features ... like a new toy.
(Gmail is just the perfect MailService)

Adil Arif [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Google will revolutionize the internet and rid the tyrannical yoke of Microsoft’s dictatorship.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Dave says:
> What system (OS/browser) did you test this on?

WinXP Firefox 1.5 final, with more or less default settings (I disallow JavaScript to change the context menu, though, which caused some bugs in Yahoo Mail – I think that's no default setting, but I'm not sure).

18 years ago #

N. Godbout writes:
> How's the spam situation with Yahoo! mail in general?

I actually never use Yahoo Mail unless I want to test something... I'm not sure how well they filter spam...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Spam filter is lousy on YAHOO. I only use it for groups in feedmesh and sending ecards now and then, each time i log in I need to clean out approx 200-300 spams.. why ?? in googs nothing comes my way it filters directly ...

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I have a yahoo mail account. But every time i check my emails my inbox is full (100%) of spam, and the odd email i want. I can't send or recieve any emails til it's cleared, then when i'm back to check it again, it's full! useless!

Dave [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

ChicagoSage wrote:
> "River of News" style?

No, it gives you both. You can have either feed by feed or river of feeds.

arun [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

i have been using gmail for a while. now i switched to yahoo's beta mail. the main thing i like are the right click features and tabbed mail(like in forefox). so when im composing i want to check another email in inbox, open many messages at a time etc. its little bit slower sometimes though. but happens with gmail also often. says loading...
but still yahoo misses out the grouping of messages of same subject like in gmail. this thing perhaps satnds out in gmail i believe (atleast for my pref)

am77 [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I wish Gmail could just integrate Google Reader into its interface. The built-in RSS reader is really the only thing I envy of the new Yahoo! Mail interface, but yes, it is quite an awesome product for those who are accustomed to desktop email apps like Outlook. WLM is just out of the race right now...

In terms of advertising, though, Gmail is especially awesome. For me at least. For some reason, I don't see ANY Google ads at all when using Firefox – something I only realized a week or so ago, although they have NOT been appearing for months now! They show up in IE though. (I do not have any sort of a Google ad blocker extension for Firefox) Did Google do this on purpose to get users to switch from IE?

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9817/gmailnoad7ie.jpg

18 years ago #

Brinke – the place to apply for a Yahoo Beta Mail account is here:
http://surveylink.yahoo.com/wix/p0473306.aspx

18 years ago #

Dave – oh yeah, I forgot about the other RSS feed view in Yahoo Mail. However, it still doesn't mark individual items as read. It feels pretty rudimentary compared to most other feed aggregators.

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Wow, you're right am 77. I don't see ads in Gmail. I don't think this is usually the case, though. As for Y! Mail: They'll need to do more than copy Outlook to convince me to leave Gmail.

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Haha Yahoo.

If you use Yahoo, this link is more useful:
https://edit.yahoo.com/config/delete_user

Thomas Hofmann Online [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Hello everybody,

I can't see the new layout. Is this feature only available in US or ist this an adjustment in some options dialog?

thanks in forehand, Thomas

18 years ago #

Thomas, it seems Yahoo is rolling this out slowly, to random people all over the world. I'm in Germany, but I can see it...

Jimi Four [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Talk about a cluttered ugly interface. It looks like a kid's program.

ycc2106 [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I wanted to see this too, so I switched to us, but seems it won't show on Firefox 1.5 mac.
Yahoo advantages PC's and IE! :-(

YM [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Philipp, what program did you use to capture that video?

18 years ago #

Windows Media Encoder 9 on WinXP:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx

YM [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Thank you!

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

well, i don't think i'll ever see this version. I signed up, nothing. The variant of Yahoo Mail I have, "SBC Yahoo," never seems to pick up on new Y! features.

1GB??? [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1 GB of storage s ridiculous, Gmail is more than double. The new Yahoo! will not equal Gmail.

kenneth03 [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

How did you get that Yahoo Mail appearance? Still Google Mail is the best for me...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!