Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Spam still problem here

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, December 14, 2010
13 years ago11,848 views

We can't discuss publicly about the ways for reducing comment spam here, but it's still a problem.
The posts have harmful links and several posts are gone after 4-5 hours. It's too long :(

Zim [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

It's true. I wish I could help somehow..

13 years ago #

If You can send tips etc. to Philipp privately (not via forum :-) it would be nice.

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Maybe more people could get rights to remove this spammy messages. Or usernames....... but just the way it's now makes it a special forum.

13 years ago #

I *really* agree to the last point.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

At work, I usually check this forum every 3 or 4 hours. And I often delete spam. It sucks.

A good idea should be that if an user(name) has not posted at least 5 messages, he has to fill a CAPTCHA form.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

> A good idea should be that if an user(name) has not posted
> at least 5 messages, he has to fill a CAPTCHA form.

I don't think any of this spam is automated, and a captcha won't stop it.

13 years ago #

That's true, and they change username very often.

But let's remember that they are reading this forum and see this thread...

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

> But let's remember that they are reading this forum and see this thread...

No, that's really not how comment spam works.

The spammers work from low-income countries. They are given a set of keywords, and they search for any web page that contains a target keyword. Then they post their spam. They sometimes read part of the target page so that they can try to make their comment look "on-topic", but they NEVER "read the forum". That would destroy the economics of their work, because they only get paid a pittance for each spam.

Many of the spam posts are vague. That's because some kinds of blog software (e.g. Wordpress) have different spam filtering options for a user's "first post" and their "later posts". You can set up these blogs so that a user's first post is moderated, then if the admin accepts that post the user can freely post again without moderation. So spammers often try to make a vague, general first post that will get past the spam filter, so that they can do their "real spamming" later.

Of course this forum doesn't work the same as a Wordpress blog, but because these guys don't follow this forum they don't generally realise that.

13 years ago #

[put at-character here]Roger: Very true and due to those facts comment spam really hurts.
I wrote in a common way that it is not a good idea to share here what are the new means how admins will use to prevent spam. Or to delete spam.

13 years ago #

How ironic – there is only few posts a day during the Christmas week and most of them are spam comments to this thread...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!