Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The First Week of Sketch Swap...  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Friday, February 10, 2006
18 years ago

That's really impressive!!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

not sure --but Kiss (the heavy metal group) albums are always signed with VIP – which was a production company. (VIP- Victor.."something or the other")

has this become the hip a culture thing to sign VIP=KISS=MWAAA kinda thing...

interesting social dynamics that you noted..

one question how did you id the sketches were " lot of Japanese sketches" ??

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I could identify the Japanese sketches as they were all written with a lot of Japanese characters. I can tell Japanese from Chinese characters – the lines are much less complicated, with more white-space in them (though Japanese also use Chinese characters). Well, I can't read a word of Japanese still :)

Tsu [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

"It is VIP quality"
The VIP refers to users of the news message board of 2channel (2ch), which you might have heard of, 2ch being one of the largest, if not the largest internet forum in the world. The thing with 2ch is, is that it's possible to make anonymous posts, a practice which is, in fact, encouraged (essentially the only people posting with names are newbies, show-offs and mods).
Anonymous posters on the news board get the name "VIP". Eventually the board developed a bit of subculture of its own.
Basically, you could consider something signed with "VIP" as being signed with "Anonymous".

Tiago Serafim [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Congrats Philipp!

I linked it on my brazillian blog, some visits from br came from here.

Keep doing great stuff!

Tiago

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

thks tsu ..thats interesting info :)-

18 years ago #

Yes, "2ch" was in many of the pics which had "vip" in them!
Thanks Tsu!

Myriad [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Sketchswap is so much fun, great idea! Congratulations on your success. Do you need help sorting through the entries?

Paul Ansorge [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I really love the idea behind Sketch Swap – think it's just terrrific. My feeble attempts at doodling are not much to behold, but other people's have been fun to see – I'm also glad to read that you filter the pics, I'll sketch with more abandon now, knowing that I'm not going to be greeted by things I might not want to see in return :-)

All the best for the project,

Paul Ansorge
(semi-defunct blog: http://isthisagoodidea.blogspot.com)

buun [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I come from VIP

Buuuuuuuuuun!!!!!!!!!!

vipper [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

This is the MAJIRESU.

VIP = very idiotic people

that's all.

VIPPER [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I come from VIP too.
Thank you very much for your kind introduction!

VIPPER is Samurai HAHAHAHA!

vipper [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I am japanese and lived in VIP.
That's calle 〝VIPPER〟!

vipper [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I'm sorry, and these foolishness My apologies, and leak neatly the responsibility, take, and return.

K [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Oh....VIP is crazy.....
Ummmm.....
I wish delete.

[Name] [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

http://ex14.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/news4vip/1139660639/

VIP- [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

"VIP" It is = certain "Habitue of BBS"

When other "VIP" offends it, I'm sorry.

It doesn't think deeply though there might be an unknown article
because these sentences are the web translations because it cannot
speak English.

from VIP [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I come from "VIP"
VIP surely is crazy,but all "VIPPER" isn't crazy

last.....So sorry...

VIP [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Excue me, but I'm poor speaking English.
I have drawn earnest sketch. We have surely drawn earnest sketch.
VIPPER is foolish , but please don't erase the suketch.
We are terribly sorry.

VIP- [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Apology
↓
http://www.vipper.net/vip11226.jpg

[Name] [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I'm sorry
Honesty, We were bad.
I'm 15years old, can not speaking English.
But, can say you that "VIPPER Important Friends.
Therefore, as for me them without becoming hateful, we want
But, also it is true for they to ride the figure,
I'm sorry....
I warn strongly even in them.Therefore, this time we want permitting.

I'm sorry...

VIP [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I am really sorry that we have made big nuisances to you.
You know I am no ill-intentioned. We have just lost control.
Please erase all our comments.
Permit us, please!

from VIP [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

At first, I cant speak English well … sorry for my write.
I’m one of Japanese signed “VIP”.
“VIP” is a Community Web site of Japan.
The users on this Web site (including me) love sketchswap.
We say thank you for sketchswap’s web master.
Nevertheless, some of our make troubles…we regretted what we done.
We should say sorry.

sorry [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

VIP is Japanese community site.

From a student to a member of society of 30 generations, a person of various age writes in it.
It is to love a practical joke (a degree sometimes went too far) on a net that is common to them.
Vipper demands a net doing an interesting thing every day. And, as of now,
I become reputation in one of the contributions of the inside if this system is interesting.
A bulletin board of the site suffers a nuisance ten to one when carried by VIP. Vipper which does not know young courtesy is the cause.
A person enjoying this system heartily is most, but is sorry that some Vipper gives a trouble.

from VIP [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I'm sorry that some of VIP troubled you.
some VIP is crazy,but many people in VIP want to apologize to you for this trouble and don't have intention to trouble you any more.
we, some foolish people excepted, hope only to use this wonderful system peacefully.

Finally, I apologize to you for my poor english.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Whew.. This looks like being slashdotted- but I seeing an underlaying phenonmen of being "vipped" is there.

Slashdot is for nerds and vipped is a closed echo chamber which can suddendly leak out!!

I must ask joi ito about this concept!! :)-

vip [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

All of you please come in 2ch once, too. 

pete [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Very nice little drawing app.
Would also like to see some type of "favorites" or "best of" gallery.
If there are really 100,000 drawing in there,
there's no way I'll ever get to see most of them :(
(I'm not about to submit 100,000 drawings of my own).

18 years ago #

Thanks to all VIPPERS! You guys have been submitting some of the most amazing sketches, and Dominik and I approved 1,000s of them.

If you can, please write English on the sketches and just sign in Japanese, that makes it easier for us to approve them.

18 years ago #

Pete, we might one day release a book with some of the funniest and coolest drawings.

18 years ago #

Paul, you're right, we filter so you won't get "shocker" pictures. The rudest thing I've approved the past couple of days was a shark giving a "one finger salute to Chief Brody"... that was just too funny to not let pass :)

calpico [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Hi guys I'm from VIp too...
You know vip is the fooliest group in Japan or whole the world but also you know they have high quality at their sketches. It's because they've been reading comics a lot, watching animes a lot, and they just like drawing.

They enjoy seeing pics that people from abroad drew. But their best joy is seeing pics from other vippers :D

They are called "hentai" in japan. "hentai" means "people who are a little foolish, but good at something well"
Please, excuse these people and not to delete their sketches!......

Vonne Rosas [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I'm really new at this, but I thought it would be pretty cool if some sketchers can have accounts or their own personal "gallery" (for free if possible ^_^;;)
Just a thought...
^_^
But the book idea is pretty neat!
I'd buy that book in an instant!

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Philipp, what about some gradient user ratings (e.g., stars), after clicking in agreement to "I don't mind if I am goatsed, and will not hold anyone responsible if I am". Then you could focus pretty much on pics with 1 star or less.

Aaron Pratt [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

That was me drawing the "line and circles" ;-(

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Some type of eraser would be nice! :)

18 years ago #

We let *some* lines and circles through, actually. Just trying to keep the ratio down a bit ;)

Al [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I love the concept, and I'm so hooked. Unfortunately I've run out of things to sketch, so I'll hang on for the book! Great site, love it to bits

18 years ago #

Al – we also let through your thoughts on the world, your life, and so on, as long as the note is accompanied by a small sketch :)

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

There is a Flickr pool with the tag "sketchswap". I did my best to draw and label the brain. Very difficult without a graphic tablet, but I can't draw anyway ;)

PS, what is the copyright status of folks' images?!?

18 years ago #

I'm happy people take screenshots and post them all over the web, as long as it's just a couple of them – because if some place would have 100s, then it would be kind of unfair to those people investing a sketch of their own to get a sketch. As we don't have any explicit copyright notice, I guess per copyright law it means all images submitted are copyright to SketchSwap.com. We might go for a different license one time.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Philipp, the contents is owned by sketchswamp, but the I think that you should have the creative common license tag. In this way, you can help lessig out too , when you produce a book. And trust me a 100 sketc book in .pdf format for download *t about 5 bucks thru paypal will be kewl. Give 3 buck to ccc... Think of it.... The 100K are copyrighted by the creators- as it stands right now with a disclaimer. Do a little research with this before going for the book... And I"ll be first to order one for sure :)-

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> As we don't have any explicit copyright notice, I guess per copyright law it means all images submitted are copyright to SketchSwap.com

I'm almost positive that's not correct. Anytime you create a work you automatically retain copyright of it. Adobe has no copyright over images you make in Photoshop and posters automatically have copyright over messages submitted to forums.

It would be good (IMO!) for users to copyright their drawings under either a non-nc CC license or the GFDL. As it is they are fully protected under blanket copyright laws.

18 years ago #

We have this in since the beginning as Terms of Service:
"By submitting your sketch, you allow us to republish it."

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

from when Philipp ??

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You can republish it, but it only means you have permission to do so from the copyright holder!

18 years ago #

Yes Brian, that is all we want/ need.

18 years ago #

By the way, here are two things that complicate analysis: the copyright holder is impossible to determine in most cases (those pics which don't leave a signature), and our server's in Germany :)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

but not knowing who the creator is only makes the case more compliacted..
1) so who holds the copyright of a sketch ??
2) What happends if I get a sketch return and now use that sketch as a 'brand logo' for some start up ? Where does the infringment line be drawn, on the party that hijaks the sketch for commerical use or the party that holds the content and permits the content to be hijacked ?
3) Server maybe in DE but the IPO/Copyright law extends its self worldwide!!

I think its best reach out and get opinion .. I will ask Derk Slater here..

designerwhite [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I've been popping quite a few drawings in. My thoughts are that you'd have to be clear what your uses of the work are. As it stands, it seems the only intended use is to publish in an online gallery such as the one in the about/terms. The intellectual contents of the drawings remain with the authors. If you wanted to do anything further, you'd have to notify.

I've been drawing original IP, which is valuable to me. I would be fine with publications of the work, as my web address is on the piece, thus free advertising. Clearly, I retain the rights to the characters and any further uses of them beyond the sketch itself. This is the kind of thing you should make clear up front – to make the artists happy.

It will get tricky when you have people drawing IP that is not theirs though. Obviously when someone draws spiderman, I'm guessing you won't do anything with that beyond swapping it to another user. but how to pick through obscure ip?

Aside from tracking people down, it might be simpler if you had a login system with contact info – this entire system could be optional – for those who would wish to be published.
Mean while, they could check off a series of options for rights management.
ie. *own the IP/don't, *permission to publish on web, *permission for book.

and yes, being able to look at all your own drawings would be nice. I screen cap all mine, and it's a big pain.

Thanks for the awesome site though. I'm really enjoying it.
www.designerwhite.ca

I just got a VIP drawing too. very good!

18 years ago #

Thanks for your comments. These are our terms of service at this moment:
"By submitting your sketch, you allow us to republish it."

Should we decide to make a book out of it, naturally we'll keep all signatures or URLs in the drawing intact, and we wouldn't republish copies of existing characters like Spider-Man (unless perhaps the drawing falls into the areas of parody and adds its own values).

Bob [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

why do i keep getting cool japanese drawings from VIP, but I can't even draw a stickman. How do you draw like that on sketch swa[

18 years ago #

Bob, I suppose most of those great drawings were made with a Wacom tablet and pen... it's hard to draw well with the mouse.

Cristin Handerson [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

how come when i try to draw when i start to draw my mouse then draws a line thats not needed in my drawings and it messes the drawings up?

17 years ago #

Hmm, good question, we also don't know, we saw that in some images but can't explain!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!