Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Jeeves Has Left the Building  (View post)

ChicagoSage [PersonRank 1]

Monday, February 27, 2006
18 years ago

It looks like they didn't fix all the bugs before releasing the "new" Ask.com. They used to have a bookmarking tool called MyJeeves. Now there is a link from the Search Tools menu called "MyStuff", but it leads to a 404 page (http://mystuff.ask.com/mysearch/search?q=).

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ask.com should buy Answers.com, or vice versa. Those services would only really be useful if combined. Ask just doesn't give me access to enough information.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I really like the new homepage. I think that's the best thing that happened to Jeeves in the latest months.

Now they should focus on relevancy. If you search for [google blog] the no 7 result is Yahoo Blog and the suggestions are : Yahoo Blog and What Is a Blogg. Kind of lame.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Philipp, are you unable to change your country preference in the settings? There's a spot on the "General" tab with radio buttons that let you pick your country.

Ashman [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Least we forget.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Niraj, the selections I made – clicking that "All sites" radio button, as well as follow the link to the US Ask.com site – were not remembered by the site.

The Architect [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I think Ask Jeeves always sucked, compared to Google, at least. Now that they removed Jeeves from the equation I think they suck even more...

JUST GOOGLE IT!!

Matt [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

What the hell, Jeeves was the only gimmick they had going so they toss him? Bad idea to me, Jeeves shouldnt have "retired". Now who shall we ask, the red oval?

Doug Working [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I was thinking the exact same thing..when they got rid of the butler, they got rid of the only gimmick they had going...now they have nothing but a stupid red oval. man, someone had their head up their butt on this one! If they think they were clever in doing this, lets see how clever they are when they fall flat on their face because the thing is now so plain boring that most of us won't ever go back. I'll stick with Google now.

These morons cut their own throats! (D'oh!)

Renfan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

not good . . . gimmick or not – Jeeves made an impression – even though
I know people who could not spell Jeeves .. I will for one, miss him at
the holidays . .

Arcainine Falls [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Jeeves was great when he dressed up for the holidays and stuff... Definitely the only reason that me or anyone I know of went there was because of the butler, so we'd use that search. Now that he's gone, might as well use Google, they are at least a much bigger search engine.

Fian Daigo [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Yes, but, what happened to Jeeves? Where is he at the moment? Now that he's been 'let go', has he taken a holiday and is now on an island, sipping drinks with little straws in them? Or perhaps working in a toll booth somewhere breathing in noxious fumes, listening to the whizzing sound of cars gone by? My guess is that Jeeves is behind his computer, contemplating what website should need his services.

Ed_a_parent [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Jeeves was easy to use and always had a relevant answer. They didn't retire him – they must have killed him. The new site is lame and does not seem to have a clue.

Debbie [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I really miss Jeeves, Why in the world did you guys take him away. I agree with the other responders this site is pretty boring now. You need to bring him back

Steve [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

now you cant even ask it "why do you suck?"

Paul [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Heres your answer...!

http://sp.askforkids.com/en/docs/askforkids/help/where_is_jeeves.htm

Paul

INSANE [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

why in the world would you take jeeves away he was my only friend i wanna have a word with who ever took him away he was cool i hate the site but he was cool plz send jeeves back

sumbudy [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

im never using that site again!!! they must have murdered him, as "ed a parent" said. before it was cool, it gav me sum1 to talk to. now they have an oval. At least google has pretty colors. We should team up and assasinate the oval.

wheretfhasjeevesgone? [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I think that jeeves is know listening to ipods and partying with the celebs (seeing as he knows where they all are)

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

http://www.ask.com/#subject:ask|pg:1
Bye jeeves!

allie ward [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I miss jeeves!! :-(

whealie master of games [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

hey ill miss him to ... i think they did murder jeeves when he was sleeping

DOOMED 1 [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

They hid jeeves body in a ditch somewhere google killed him

noobkiller [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

i think that ask.com think using a butler is not nice lol but they r wrong

me [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

The butler didn't do it...he was framed! Bring him back

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!