Forum

Massively Multiplayer Pong  (View post)

Ashman [PersonRank 4]

Wednesday, March 1, 2006
18 years ago

Finally! I waited for this day.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This is really cool..... though, there should be some way to identify and boot people off your team (number per blob) because there currently is someone on the orange team sabbotaging the efforts by just as the ball is about to hit the paddle jumping to the far other side... I tried to counteract this by jumping to the close side, but unless it is in the middle, I don't have enough pull to counterballance!

Jeroen Van Goey [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

You can read an eye-witness acount of a real-life version of this in Kevin Kelly's book 'Out of Control' (very much recommended, by the way): http://www.kk.org/outofcontrol/ch2-b.html

<qoute>
In a darkened Las Vegas conference room, a cheering audience waves cardboard wands in the air. Each wand is red on one side, green on the other. Far in back of the huge auditorium, a camera scans the frantic attendees. The video camera links the color spots of the wands to a nest of computers set up by graphics wizard Loren Carpenter. Carpenter's custom software locates each red and each green wand in the auditorium. Tonight there are just shy of 5,000 wandwavers. The computer displays the precise location of each wand (and its color) onto an immense, detailed video map of the auditorium hung on the front stage, which all can see. More importantly, the computer counts the total red or green wands and uses that value to control software. As the audience wave the wands, the display screen shows a sea of lights dancing crazily in the dark, like a candlelight parade gone punk. The viewers see themselves on the map; they are either a red or green pixel. By flipping their own wands, they can change the color of their projected pixels instantly. Loren Carpenter boots up the ancient video game of Pong onto the immense screen.
</quote>

After the Pong game, the audience even goes on to steer a plane in a fligth simulator. Carpenter was later one of the co-foundeders of Pixar.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The Flash doesn't load. Weird.

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Loads, but appears as if it hasn't – only a single pixel represents the ball, and no paddles are visible.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Then where's the usability?

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I believe it is Flash 8 only.
And for example here, on Linux, the newest version is Flash 7 :(

Andreas Wagner [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

*excited* Which Singstar Version features Pong?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Andreas, I'm 90% sure it's Singstar 80s.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

(I'm away from home for a couple of days so I can't check.)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!