Google Blogoscoped

Forum

NBC's Viral Videos  (View post)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, March 11, 2006
18 years ago

"Viral marketing describes any strategy that encourages individuals to pass on a marketing message to others, creating the potential for exponential growth in the message's exposure and influence. Like viruses, such strategies take advantage of rapid multiplication to explode the message to thousands, to millions."
Dr. Ralph Wilson

NBC is the only one that has the right to host those videos. YouTube taught them to be more open.

mike nowak [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

"isn’t the whole point about viral videos that those were the ones that were shared a lot all over the web?"

No. The video itself is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if it's hosted in a dozen places or centralized in one. It's the idea that's viral and that idea spreads as people link it – irrelevant of whether that link points to one source or many.

"Subservient Chicken" was viral, but also centralized.

Not that I agree with NBC's schtick. I'm just sayin'.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> > "isn’t the whole point about viral videos
> > that those were the ones that were shared
> > a lot all over the web?"
>
> No. The video itself is irrelevant.

What I meant is this – how does NBC know these are the "web's favorites"? I think they do by looking at how popular these videos had become at video-sharing services, such as the YouTube they attacked.

Jakob Lodwick [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I think Philipp's point is strong here. NBC's plan isn't sustainable.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I wonder on what criteria will they add more videos to that page.

hubert gertis [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

That's an easy one:
Any time the legal department sends out its armies to protect NBC copyrights, the specific video will be added to the page.
Page rank will be defined by a digg-like algorithm, which counts viewer numbers at the infringing sites as diggs.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The problem with NBC centralizing them is they don't give you the option of embedding the video in your personal blog like YouTube. People are much more likely to look at a video within a blog than follow links to NBC to see the video. It also loses the fun of discovering the videos before they become popular and then displaying them on your own page, not just linking to them.

Matt [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Man, I have seen some crazy viral videos by a company called Food Loop. I saw these at work the other day and thought they were insanely hilarious! They load a little slow, but the wait is worth it trust me.

Check them out here:

http://www.howdoesitworkforyou.com/temp/SupperMed_Prog001.mov

http://www.howdoesitworkforyou.com/temp/EarlyBirdMed_Prog001.mov

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!