Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Digg vs Slashdot: The Ultimate Battle  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, March 21, 2006
18 years ago

2 questions.. how was this logo lenght and HTML errors counted ??

how were scores discovered ?

Jesse [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Digg is full of snobs, slashdot is full of flamers. I avoid both

Zoolander [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

[off-topic]

Phillip, how come everytime you write a new post, all the posts on that day just come on rss reader in safari as new. please do something about it. hope i explained the problem clearly to you. thanks.. and keep up the good stuff!!

Zoolander [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

more.. like this,
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-03-21.html#n60
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-03-21-n60.html

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Pd I updated the post, I actually measured the pixels of the logos.

18 years ago #

Zoolander, sometimes during the initial writing of the post I'm changing the post style from multi-per-page posts to a post that gets it own page. I'm rarely doing this, but when I do it might cause these hiccups in Safari. If it happens all the time it must be something else tho....

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I like Slashdot more than digg (comment wise) because there are way less stories, so the quality of comments is better. Also the comment moderation is more descriptive (+5 Funny, etc). I like Digg because it is user driven and everyone can do whatever the mods can do.

* * Beatles-Beatles [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

They both are phenominal, and will earn footnotes in eHistory.

But what is really amazing is this:

http://popurls.com/

you get EVERYTHING!

Zoolander [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Thanks for the update, Philipp.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

you forgot alexa rankings

and according to your numbers, digg has more links on google blog search but you gave that point to /.

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Do you think Outer-Court users could be judged like Digg or Dot users? I mean this site does get pretty heavy forum use. New users come on all the time and give their 2 cents.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I like the freedom on this forum to come in and post without having to register. it leads to lots of conversation and lots of viewpoints.

George R [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Apparently bigger isn't always better.

Are more errors better?
Is a bigger logo better?
Are more mentions on competitor’s site better?
Are more mentions of competitor's site better?
Would they cancel each other?

How do you tally the scores 5 and 14?

Miel [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Then again, Slashdot is around much longer than Digg, so the fact it is much more integrated in the internet is kind of obvious...

Did you include this 'recency factor' in your calculations

18 years ago #

Caleb writes
> and according to your numbers, digg has more links
> on google blog search but you gave that point to /.

Ooops... it's corrected.

George R. writes
> Apparently bigger isn't always better.
>
> Are more errors better?

That round went to the one with the least errors.

Miel writes
> Did you include this 'recency factor' in your calculations

I've included it in some of the scores by adding recent links/news only.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

slashdot = > circa sept 1997
Digg = > circa Mar 2004

All slashdot scores need to divided by 2 , because they are twice older!! ..how does the score then rank in ??

18 years ago #

By the way, I personally prefer Digg these days and think it's much more dynamic & interesting. However, as recently Digg promoted itself to "have overtaken Slashdot" thanks to the Alexa rank (which is highly dubious in nature, I think) I wanted to provide more numbers to see if Digg holds up on those too...

Arthur Ket [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It is unlikely that this is the ultimate battle. I figure that the ultimate battle would be in fact a war such as World War 2 or 1 or possibly Godzilla versus Roc. I have also heard that a movie was made in the forges of hell where Chuck Norris fights Bruce Lee. That is not only ultimate it is legendary. I dont know Im not Fight Club enthusiast but I do think a battle between Digg vs Slashdot , two people ive neevr heard of, could possibly be the ultimate battle of our time.

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Awesome.

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Here is another interesting statistic from a personal experience. I had two similar articles that made SlashDot and Digg.

SlashDot: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/03/20/1216233

Digg: http://www.digg.com/software/How_To_Test_Firefox_2.0_Alpha_1_Without_Installing_It

My Digg article did make it to the Front Page so I would say this is an accurate comparison. Digg brought 12,000 visitors while SlashDot brought 45,000+. These numbers are each for about a 24 hour period after each article was posted. So I would say SlashDot still has some power over Digg.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!