Google Blogoscoped

Forum

AllTunes  (View post)

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

Friday, March 31, 2006
18 years ago

A front end for www.allofmp3.com

Payment can be done by xrost, which in turn is done by paypal, so no one gets credit card details.

Works well, sound quality is good, seems legal, cheap

320kbps mp3 – approx $2 per album
   FLAC lossless – approx $6 per album

Darian [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The real question is not wether AllTunes is legal in Russia, but if it is legal to buy songs from them in your country. I'm no lawyer but I got the slight feeling that the record industry might not like that. (Funny how globalization is only welcome when it suits the big money, ain't it?)

Dave M. [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I've been using AllOfMP3.com for about 3 months now. They are great. MP3's with no DRM or pennies. It's a great way to try out an album before buying it somewhere else.

AllOfMP3.com has been around for about 3-4 years now and I haven't heard any complaints about credit card fraud or not delivering on what they offer.

AllTunes is a great interface to their library. It really makes selecting songs/albums easy and downloading is a breeze.

Is it legal. Hell no. However, the RIAA doesn't seem to be worried about them as much as P2P, so I'm not worried either.

They don't have the greatest selection of artists and albums, but they have stuff that must other legal download sites don't have. Like the Beatles.

I'll keep using them until the RIAA shuts down the connection. :)

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The problem I have with it is not legal but moral. If I download a song with P2P, I get the song and the artist gets no money. Thats bad... If I download a song from AllofMP3, I get the song, the artist gets no money. AND allofmp3 gets money which they spend on advertising to more people and adding more songs to their list which makes more people download from them, etc.

I don't like the idea of people making money from breaching copyright..

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Splasho, just a note, the artists also doesn't get any money from you when you buy a CD on a flea market or listen to the artist on the radio. Sure, someone paid for the CD (AllOfMp3 also must pay a certain amount to get their data, if only for handling of the software, managing the storage etc.), and yes in most countries there's a license fee for radio stations to play a song (just as AllOfMp3 apparently paid license fees, and they also pay bandwidth).

I'm not saying AllOfMp3 is necessarily moral or legal or anything – I'm just saying there are more sides to this we should think of to come to our conclusion. What I definitely think is immoral is for Apple to protect "their" iTunes music files in such a way that after I buy them, I can't easily share them with my girlfriend. And still, many people use iTunes. They breach copyright law, in my opinion, because they prohibit me from making fair use of my music, which under copyright law I have the right to do.

Pat [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Works great! usable, fast, cheap, exactly formt & quality you need.
No DRM, all id tags ok (artist, album, trackno, song, year, genre)
IMO alltunes is far the best music seller on the net.
Message to other merchants : follow or you'll die!...

Greg [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I'm tired of people worrying about artists not getting payed when we steal or get music from the grey market. Listen... Artists make VERY little of their money from album sales anyway. They make their fortune from Radio play, film sync and concerts. And a lot of that has to be payed back to the record company because the record company payed to get the music off the ground in the first place. In turn, the artist pays them back. Album sales are not worth as much to the artist as the popularity of their music, which comes from people listining to their music, and often times, music that was downloaded from p2p, or allofmp3.com. I'ts simple. Cheep or free music = more listeners = more popularity = more airplay = more fans at concerts = more film sync = MORE MONEY FOR THE ARTIST! WAKE UP! The only one who suffers are the record companies, but paybacks are a bich, since they've been ripping us off on CD prices for the last 20 years, and now they don't even let you do what you want with your perchaced music. Screw them.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hmmm.. I didn't know that. So the record companies take a larger percentage of the money when payments are made for CDs (or DRMed MP3s) than when the song is played on the radio?

Greg [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

That's right. Here's how it works. The record company foots the bill for production of the CD. That includes recording, producing, and artwork (for the CD). They expect the artist to help pay these expenses, so they arrange for an "advance", basically lending the artist the money needed for production. The artist only makes money AFTER the record company has recooped that advance, and even then, it's only a very small percentage of the cost of the CD that the artist ever sees. Now, the artist has agreed to this, because the other source of income the artist sees does NOT come from the record company. It's the "Royalties". Royalties are earned every time an artist's song is played on the radio or TV, as long as the artist wrote the song. If someone else wrote the song and the band took that song and recorded it, the band makes no royalties. The writer of the song does. If I write a song, and someone else records it and it gets massive airplay, I get rich, and the band only get's album sales, which is small. That's because the writer of the song ownes the "publishing" writes to the material, and get's payed when it's used. When you sign a deal with a record company, they then own half (it used to be half, maybe more now) of the publishing. SO not only is the record company taking most of the song sales, but also over half of the royalties for the song/album. The royalties are payed by a third party. In Canada it's ASCAP; I'm not sure in the U.S. When you steel music, you're not hurting the artist, you're hurting the record company, and as I said above, "paybacks are a bi_ch" Artists and consumers alike have been ripped of by record companies for many years. Now they're suing their allready unhappy and ripped off customers for downloading music. That's sad. Parden any spelling, I typed this fast.

alex [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I think it's absolutly fair to pay 10ct for a song. I just wonder why millions still spend ten times more on iTunes. I personaly know ppl who spent thousands of dollars, sometimes using their creadit cards. They all say that the idea of buying music online is almost the same as going to the record store in the mall. The only difference is that they don't have to go anywhere and it's ok to spend $10-15. For me buying mp3s from mp3search.ru or allofmp3.com is a great altennative to junky limewire or kazaalite. so far I downloaded 3K songs. awesome!!!!!! quallity better than Itunes. Pros: slower connection speed, not more than300K, but still not bad.

Greg [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

If you tweak the allofmp3 software (now called AllTunes) you get close to full speed downloads. Go to your Download settings and set your download thread count to 10. Play around with the settings. If you stop a download before it's finished, you won't be charged for it. Then you can try it over again.

mindpower [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Not all artists will get onto radio, especially those making less popular genres. In fact only a very small percentage of all artists get airtime. Online sales are, for many artists, the only source of income.

Rainy Iannucci [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

OK, i downloaded Alltunes now how do I pay for it. I try with a credit card but I keep getting refused. Any Ideas.

Rainy

tom [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

allofmp3 ???!!!

Regards: http://www.arcon5.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=406 – U.K. music industry to sue AllofMP3.com

Need some advice, should I stop using allofmp3?
I have used them for about 2-3 months now and spend about $20-$40/week on music on some weeks, other weeks about $5-$10 because i am a big music fan.

I dont want to loose any money or be affected by this. Should I keep using them?

bob [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

tom, if the bpi win their case – stop using the site. The bpi clearly state they won't be going after any users of the service just the service itself.
Even if they force allofmp3 to pay up it's not yet clear if the service will be withdrawn in the uk.

Writer [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I'm a songwriter... Not full-time but on the side. I've written a few songs that have been cut in Nashville. I think "questionable" downloads and the whole digital/web revolution has done some good and bad for the over all health of music in this world. Big Labels control less...across the board. They control less of the money flow, less of the popular music, and less of the advancement of styles. More and more "indies" are appearing every month it seems on the charts. There are more labels, so the result is competitiveness, in other words more people are making the money. Big labels are getting less and indies are getting more.

This leveling is good to an extent. but at some point (and it's started to happen) there will be a tipping point. Easier access to the music for the buyers and easier access to the markets for the music makers will begin to dim that ideology of making music. The craft will begin to be watered down. No one will have that same "drive" to make it big in this industry. The drive to practice relentlessly or to craft a song to perfection... all of which makes good music (in my opinion). I think this is the negative side. If you listen to a few "rogue" internet stations that play Cousin Jeff's latest garage recording... you'll understand what I'm talking about. And I can give you a few.

henry [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Sorry for being dense, but what's the difference between allofmp3 and alltunes? And is there an easier way of importing to itunes than clicking on each track?

Poilu1 [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I am 100% certain that artists do NOT make money off of radio play, as mentioned earlier [I used to work for a major market radio station, (before the days of computers) and was involved in music tracking for royalties]. The people who make the bulk of the money from radio airplay are the songwriters (now, if someone goes and buys an album or single based upon hearing a song, then technically yes, the artist is making money). However, the royalties paid to ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers) and BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc.) come from a percentage of the station's profits . Unless things have changed (and I don't believe they have) artists do not make money on radio station airplay UNLESS they are also listed as a composer of the song, then they get their cut. In terms of actual media, singles and albums make up the lion's share of the artists' revenues (before things like concerts, merchandising, etc). Obviously, the music publishing company (which the artist may own, but not write songs for) would also make money.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> I am 100% certain that artists do NOT make money
> off of radio play, as mentioned earlier

Yes, they do in Germany. I suppose you are talking about the US.

Roy Atkinson [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Alltunes are off line today (11 Aug) Hope thers no serious problem It's a
great site., loads of artists . Reasonable charges, wish the Brittish and U.S
sites were as cheap.

bkram [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Is anyone elase having trouble getting on AllTunes?

[Moved. -Philipp]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!