Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Starting Points for Different Media  (View post)

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, April 4, 2006
18 years ago4,490 views

DVD's are really an annoyance, even more than websites that want you to click "enter" or "skip intro".

Every DVD has a different menu. If you want to watch a movie in a language other than english or the original one you have to look at least twice where to click. I always wonder what people do that do not speak english.
I only watch movies or TV when I am so tired or lazy that I am unable to perform any other "actvity". Nonetheless the DVD makers expect me to click several times for a movie to start.
I always end up looking for "german", not the subtitles, the german version, oh wait what is it called, "language", "audio"? Where do I have to click now? Enter, oh no, wrong option damn, start anew...
It annoys the hell out of me.

But the most annoying thing is the not able to skip-intro or even "ad" telling me that copyright infringers are murderers or something similar.

I hope the DVD will be made obsolte as fast as possible, it is a medium of the early nineties force fed to the consumers in the internet age.

Dan Tobias [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

Some DVDs seem to be attempting to lengthen the time between when you insert the thing and when you finally reach the main menu as much as possible, with an enormous number of ads, trailers, public-service notices, warnings, disclaimers, animated logos and intros, and other cruft first.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

On my next DVD, I want the extras to include the Making Of the DVD Menu...

Personman [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

Nice article! And yes, DVD intros are hell and getting worse. And

But the most annoying thing is the not able to skip-intro or even "ad" telling me that copyright infringers are murderers or something similar.

may be the funniest and truest thing I've read all week.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!