Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google's Da Vinci Code Quest  (View post)

Joey J. [PersonRank 5]

Wednesday, April 12, 2006
18 years ago16,432 views

Sounds pretty win!

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Have you noticed that different countries has different prizes and rules?

US has the most expensive first prize, and there are ten thousand (!) prizes for finalist. Total arv – $428,170.54

UK version includes only 121 prizes.

AU version includes 68 prizes, and those are the cheapest one.

And there are no PL version at all ;(

http://flash.sonypictures.com/movies/davincicodequest/us/prizing
http://flash.sonypictures.com/movies/davincicodequest/uk/prizing
http://flash.sonypictures.com/movies/davincicodequest/au/prizing

Official Rules length:
AU version – 2,130
UK version – 3,060
US version – 33,738 (more than 15 times longer then AU!)

http://flash.sonypictures.com/movies/davincicodequest/au/rules
http://flash.sonypictures.com/movies/davincicodequest/uk/rules
http://flash.sonypictures.com/movies/davincicodequest/us/rules

jobert [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Too bad this isn't really a world wide contest...

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This is just plain AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) I'm lookin' forward to this game!

MP [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I remember that the DaVinci Code book had a puzzle website thing where you had to do a little internet scavenger hunt. You ended up calling a number and hearing a message from Dan Brown telling you to email him your name and it could be used as the name of a character in an upcoming book. The email address he gave was a hotmail account that was almost instantly full.

Cat's Eye [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Awesome!

MrPapagorgio [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

What is the situation with group work (particularly between players in different prize zones?)

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'm guessing that the account owner gets the dough

Brian [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

This website has the solutions and screenshots of the puzzles everyday. http://googlefact.blogspot.com

amdrules [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

How come the picture has 15 puzzles done? the us version has only 7 puzzles out (at time of comment)

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The picture is some from of the promotion material released for the Challenges launch I think.

Dave Gancode [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Did Da Vinci follow a vegan code?

Dave Gancode [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

www.davegancode.org.uk

Aj [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

This is lame, after doin the first puzzle the dam thing will no longer work, I dont care about the prizes (cause i never win anything any way) I just wanted to play along with everyone else, guess I wont be doin that now. Oh, and yes I do have the latest flash and I also have adsl

KC5 [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I just figured out the latest jigsaw puzzle answer, and I know it is right but the thing keeps tell me I have the wrong answer. I double checked my answer on solution forums and there really is no other possible answer. I also rechecked my spelling, trying copying and pasting it in, tried typing it in directly, no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

KC5 [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Nevermind, ignore me. I never did read directions well. I thought it was asking for the name of the museum, not the city.

Tfibanachi [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It sucks that Australians, UK and Americans are allowed to play but Canadians are not! Per capita Canadians go to movies and use the internet more than these other countries.

Well we can play, we just can't win any prizes.

VL [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

For day 18 the answer is wrong! The codex forster is not located in Imperial College! It's located in the V&A, which is in the hint. I explain this slightly better on www.gimperial.com

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I don't know where it is myself but all the websites I found said it was in the V&A.

More people discuss the quest... http://blogoscoped.com/forum/27053.html

21 [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

If you guys like this kind of thing, I suggest you also try godtower.com.

Much more fun adn exciting with similar usage of tools, and ten times the variety.

Scott [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Has anyone noticed this little tidbit of information hidden deep within the rules about the Grand Prize?

"All federal, state, or other tax liabilities arising from the Contest will be the sole responsibility of Finalists and the Grand Prize winner. Grand Prize winner will receive an IRS Form 1099 from the Sponsor for the total ARV of the Grand Prize and the Finalist Prize stated above that he/she won in the calendar year won."

I'm don't know about you folks, but I don't know if I want to take on a $100,000+ tax burden and it doesn't look like you can sell those tickets on eBay. Hmmm...

I want one of those Cryptexes (Cryptexi?), though. :)

Dave Turnbull [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

On the subject of prizes (see Ludwik Trammer entry above), I think it's pretty unreasonable to have such widely different prizes for different countries.

On the UK page (http://flash.sonypictures.com/movies/davincicodequest/uk/index.html) we are told "Answer all 24 puzzles correctly for a chance to win untold riches", but actually the main prize is an LCD screen TV, and we don't get any of the 10,000 codexes. Am I missing something?

Sony/Google seem to be riding the wave of the publicity around the US prizes (these are oft quoted, BUT not in the context of being US only).

OK, so the puzzles are fun, the relative prizes are quite a let-down really, and "untold" would seem to be miss-representation in a big way.

Let's hope the film isn't similarly disappointing for us UK residents.

Here is the UK prize list, not exactly thrilling:
There are the following prizes to be won: 1 x Sony BRAVIA V Series LCD TV, 5 pairs of Eurostar standard class return tickets to Paris ,5 x 'special The Da Vinci Code edition' K750i Sony Ericsson phones, 5 x The Da Vinci Code Take 2 PS2 game & a PS2 console, 5 x The Da Vinci Code Take 2 X Box game & an X Box console, 50 x bundles of all 4 Dan Brown books (Digital Fortress, Deception Point, Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code), 50 x The Da Vinci Code Top Trumps games from Winning Moves. The winner of Eurostar return tickets must be 18 or over and must comply with all relevant customs and immigration requirements, including the appropriate passport and visa requirements. Neither Google nor Eurostar Group Limited will be responsible for any passenger�s failure to comply. All bookings and travel must originate in the UK. Tickets are subject to availability. The Prize excludes travel insurance and transportation to and from London Waterloo International, Ashford International, and Paris Gare du Nord. Eurostar (UK) Ltd Conditions of Carriage apply to Eurostar trains. Copies are available from Eurostar sales points or www.eurostar.com.

JasonR [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Final Phase was much easier than I expected.. How do we know if we were one of the first 10,000 though?

-JasonR

jeff mcelhan [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

i registered twice to double check i entered, and the second time i did it, it said the contest had ended. I assume the 10,000 have already registered then? Glad I made it!

Kinmar [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The first time i clicked on Submit to finish registration in said "We're sorry we cannont complete this opperation at this time" I clicked submit like 20x and now it says "We're sorry the Davinci Code quest has ended" sux :-

Samy Hernandez [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I dont know the same thing happned to me, did we have to put the username as our email that we log in with
???//Thats what i did dont we have to go to a contest entry form after we register??? Thats what the rules said,,, can some 1 help me or tell me
i found this last challenge very easy and im only 14, the google network redirected me to a thank you page saying that i succesfully registered

AmyDee [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

okay...that's odd...it let me finish...congratulated m... then had me fill out a form..i wish i would have paid more attention, but i do think it was just for the cryptex....drat my over zealous mind

Barry Bonds [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The "Rules" clearly state that the 10,000 finalists will be notified by e-mail on or about May 15, 2006!!! So don't hold your breath right now, still about 5 days away from Notification Day (Monday).

AmyDee [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Okay...i went back and checked...it said, please fill out the form below to registar to win a replica of the cryptex used in the film, and to see if you are worthy to continue the quest and compete for riches untold.. to me that says, I'm still in it...I'll be waiting for that phone call :)

caprice [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I got the error message for an hour, beginning at 12:59 pm EST. I am burned about it. When I finally accessed the puzzle, it took me about a minute to complete it, albeit a friggin' hour late. Google stopped me from winning anything. : (

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

When did this thread start? There's already a huge one, the longest one in this forum! :)

fyshy [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

i just finished the quest like an hour ago so i doubt i made the final 10,000. i was in school when the final puzzle was released, which really sux! i love the book and i really want a cryptex. maybe i'll find one on ebay after the movie is released? hmm

cooldude [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

it doesnt matter when you do it
google stamps your account when you type in your user and hit submit
and then stamps it again when you hit submit for your registration thing
and whoever does it the fastest wins etc.

unionsbuerger.de [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Dieser Film hat die Kirche Saint Sulpice in Paris gefüllt. Eine gute Nachricht für unseren Papst.

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

hey... theres also another quest thread...the reeeaaaallly looong ooonneeee! Post there! Half to make it longer and half so I don't have to read two threads! :)

Sarah [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

A received my Cryptex today only two days after I received an email that I was among the 10,000 finalists. It's actually much nicer than I expected. Heavy and well made. It doesn't even say "Made in China" on it although it probably was.

Sarah [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Actually, I got the email 16 hours ago. They're really on their toes. For all of you moaning about not getting in at the last minute...com'on guys...you had 24 hours after the last puzzle was released to complete it!

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

See this thread for more posts and comments.....

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/27053.html

Ano e mouse [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Some guy is selling his finalist spot on ebay:

http://tinyurl.com/kpvtt

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Actually, it is a pretty logical action,

The chances of winning aren't so great, so selling you spot for $150 dollars would be a smart thing to do! :)

No Way [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

That's right. That's the way to get some moolah.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!