Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Tiananmen Square Massacre Documentary  (View post)

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, April 18, 2006
18 years ago5,317 views

The first 7 images(from the search result) on Google are almost the same...

zz [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

your blog and PBS site will be blocked in china.....

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

>>The first 7 images(from the search result) on Google are almost the same...

I see no images at all on Google.cn

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

There's a way around the censorship.. Google is using string matching on the backend to determine appropriate filters..

By passing in character encoding, their string matching fails, and you get the full results.

I explained it better here:
http://www.dotcult.com/?pid=comment&newsid=161

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think that the issue here is not about getting banned in china. What has happened in the past is unfortune for all parties.

The point being, is that Google and other Companies are censoring information within China. What is happening currently is what will determine the future.

The main question, is what are we doing about it ?? Living in a free world, means that we can take a stance on what is right and what is wrong.

I think Philipp does a great job, on posting the "truth". Having said that-- it does mean that the "truth" is the same inside other countries too and thats for their governements and thier citizens to determine.

Remember at one time google also stripped out images from their search with "Abu Grahib prisions"!!

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Becareful,
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/2218/joke6yj.png search Philipp Lenssen on Google.cn

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I can't replicate Haochi's image

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

i wonder what Hachi was trying to say..!

cner [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Haochi show us that, when he search "Philipp Lenssen" in images.google.cn, he get nothing.

But i try search "Philipp Lenssen" in images.google.cn, i get something.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> Remember at one time google also stripped
> out images from their search with "Abu Grahib prisions"!!

Pd, I agree with you that Google self-censors in other countries to, but above case turned out to be just a slow update of the Images index, not a conscious censorship (at least according to Google, which voiced their opinion in a note to Slashdot back then, and I believe them).

18 years ago #

Haochi, very strange, I can't reproduce your censored search for my name. Do you also get this for normal web search, or just for Google Images?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The source appears to be " 图片 " – I assume that its translates to "images" :)-

18 years ago #

Pd what results do you get for [philipp lenssen] on Google.cn? Because I get normal results...

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Curious: if I do an image search on google.cn for tiananmen massacre I get four pages of results (including the person in front of the tanks). But all of those images are from cryptome.cn which "publishes information, documents and opinions banned by the People's Republic of China".

Clearly they have been able to circumvent Google's blocking.

Jeb [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

the Frontline documentary was fascinating. Especially the interview with the Beijing University students. They had NO IDEA what the picture of tank man was about. I wonder if Frontline producers filled them in. China has turned Google into the "memory hole" from 1984.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!