Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Question: Define hidden text (CSS + JavaScript)

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

Monday, May 1, 2006
18 years ago2,650 views

Hi readers

I am building a website with Google Maps (Europe) (just hacking, testing etc.). Now I have a list with data inside (POI – Points of Interesst). So, this divs have style visibility = hidden. But this changes as soon as the user clicks on some link, than visibility changes to visible.

My Question: This list is genereated on load and made hidden/invisible and only appears on user action. Is this list now violating the Google Webmaster Guidelines or not?

I hope somebody can help my in that...

Thanks
Corsin

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

As long as you don't stuff keywords in the hidden text, it's OK to use it. Google does that on its own pages. Check Google Videos http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=857359619732734468 and Google AdSense when you setup the ads.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I agree, you should be OK hiding divs and stuff. I think Google would need a full-fledged CSS and JS engine to understand what's hidden and what isn't, and even then they couldn't ban all those pages doing it for good DHTML reasons...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!