Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Book on the Science of Google Rankings  (View post)

James Bradbury [PersonRank 5]

Monday, May 1, 2006
18 years ago5,763 views

What about the original paper they wrote? It's actually easier to understand than that.

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ah, it's not that bad. Just do what I do; think of it as a Singular Value Decomposition on a really really massive matrix. I'd start with Golub and van Lo*n if you'd like to work up to the math..

Philipp, your software wouldn't let me write L*an. It's the author's name. :)

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"Ah, it's not that bad. Just do what I do; think of it as a Singular Value Decomposition on a really really massive matrix. I'd start with Golub and van Löan if you'd like to work up to the math.."

did ANYONE understand that? ;o)

PS the löan filter is a great idea sir spam fighter, the beginnings of your own Bayesian filter!

Palpitt [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Hello! do you know if there is something inside about pageRank's philosophy ? thanks

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Palpitt, the book has 3 introductory chapters before the math starts, so there is also discussion of their philosophy. Turns out in 1998 (according to the book) two groups independently came up with "make the link democracy rank pages" approaches. The one was Brin/ Page with PageRank/ Google/ Backrub, the other was Jon Kleinberg with HITS (Hypertext Induced Topic Search). The book says 3 factors made PageRank win over HITS as dominant model:
- query independence
- virtual immunity to spamming
- Google's huge business success

I guess the time was ripe, as ever so often. If you read The Google Story you'll also see that while time was ripe, the business world wasn't – the Google founders weren't able to sell their algo to an existing search company (who around that time were suffering portalitis).

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

theres an mp3 of matt cutts interview on search here

http://www.clickz.com/experts/search/results/article.php/3602456

Palpitt [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

thanks a lot, Philipp, for these explanations ;)

Search-Engines-Web.com [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Here is the HTML version of the PDF paper they released in Oct 2004 –

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:iZ3uom5emKYJ:meyer.math.ncsu.edu/Meyer/PS_Files/DeeperInsidePR.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Travis: I understood that – but it helps to have a math degree from MIT :-)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!