Google Blogoscoped

Forum

What Google Highlights in SERPs  (View post)

AJ [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, May 4, 2006
18 years ago4,409 views

The verb is 'embolden' not 'bold'

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Thanks AJ, fixed!

EM [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Jewllers is highlighted in the section under the suggested query. I don't think it is because of peoples.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think it's been doing this for a while now. However, it seems to be either inconsistent or intelligent – athough I'm not sure which!

For example, searching for [professional translator] will highlight [professional], [translator] and [translation]. However, searching for [translator] on its own doesn't highlight the word [translation].

alek [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Interesting find Philipp – I've looked at those V-E search results a bazillion times and never noted the VE embolding – not only the abbreviation VE, but also the I've ... make 'ya wonder if a "'" is some sort of seperator.

I tried to come up with some other searches to show this behavior, but was unsuccessful. For instance, I tried http://www.google.com/search?q=invisible+superman and did not see the word "is" embolded in the 7th result.

Could there be some sort of stemming abbreviation behavior that gets attached to the VE word, but not all.

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hi Alek.

I think it is just a statistical thing. Since invisible superman is much less common, and probably hardly abbreviated (versus VE which is often abbreviated because it is hard to spell), it doesn't result in the same bolding.

Also, check out [ama], it emboldens lots of different names. I searched for [marissa meyer] and it was highlighting all the "marissa mayer" instances.

It is interesting to see what they highlight, because as Philipp said, it is really expanding over time.

Andrew

alek [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

That a great example Andrew ... both a Google Search for "AMA" and "American Medical Association" shows the mutual association. This is a step-up on "classical" stemming (i.e. bird, birds, birding) and must be some interesting algorithms coming into play.

And Superman probably needs to "talk" to Google ... ;-)

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Not to nitpick, but "embolden" is more of the emotional bold, not the typographical bold. I suggest boldface:
http://www.answers.com/boldface
n.

Type with thick heavy lines.
adj.

Printed in thick heavy type.
tr.v., -faced, -fac·ing, -fac·es.

1. To mark (copy) for printing in this type.
   2. To set or print in this type.

AJ [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

People also use 'boldize', 'boldify', etc. But 'embolden text' is an established use.

Toms [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The french team noticed that too :) http://toms.taggle.us/google-recognizing-ve-for-v7ndotcom-elursrebmem

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!