Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Music?  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Friday, May 5, 2006
18 years ago5,415 views

was not the chatter on this line up named as "google listen(beta)" some time ago ?? Is this is the same service that would compete with Ipod with the GMpg3 format or something like that ??

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

nothing has really replaced mp3.com , which was a treasure trove of really good , unsigned music – and it was downloadable for free.

Brandon Byers [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I like the logo idea; hope G goes with it. It's cool.

G does have the music onebox, so it's not surprising they'd move in that direction. My only beeves (or "beefs") with the music onebox is it's hard to get to (have to start off with an obvious query like _ pink albums _ to get to it), it's not all-encompassing (plenty of songs / albums not contained therein yet), it gives only a little bit of data (genre? production date? label?).

What I *do* like about the music onebox, however, is that G shows some info, and then quickly points you to some better sources. So G is leading you to the answer you want, as opposed to giving you the answer straight out.

I believe that's what G should stick to – leading you to the answer – and recent developments (Google Finance anyone?) have saddened me as G continues to drift from it's principle of basic, highly-effective search.

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

forbes has an article on it
http://www.forbes.com/markets/2006/04/03/google-music-download-0403markets19.html?partner=rss

quote:
Google is preparing to launch a music downloading service, according to research firm Caris & Company.

Late last week, Google (nasdaq: GOOG – news – people) met with a group of music industry executives and described the private event as merely for "networking." But Caris analyst Mark Stahlman suspects that Google is getting ready to launch a Music Store to rival Apple Computer (nasdaq: AAPL – news – people) iTunes.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

will they set the price to 99cents or below per song ??

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

From that article Justin refers to, it seems as though the music industry is unhappy with the current pricing system. I have heard from other places too that they want to start to charge a bit more for newer/popular music and less of older/unpopular music. Maybe Google will introduce this variable pricing system for them. Much like they have for Google video. This would probably keep the Music industry happy, and enable Google to have many millions of tracks available.

ITunes recently managed to keep the 99 cents (79p) cost for it's music, even though they music industry wasn't happy with it. This will probably change next time the contract needs to be renewed.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yes..price is important .. but will it play on an iPod ?? :)-

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

what if it is just streaming music
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/12/searching-for-music.html

its legal to stream, right ?

18 years ago #

here you Are Google , a Google Search Music Button
http://www.google.com/musicsearch?q=fairouz&btnG=Search+Music

and here Celine Dion Albums

Celine Dion > Celine Dion, Vol. 2

View
Show all tracks
Show summary

Related web pages
Artist websites
Latest news
Artist photos
Discuss this artist
BUY ALBUMS

18 years ago #

and a Buy at Napster link

Lee Konitz > Toot Sweet > Lovelee

Related web pages
Artist websites
Latest news
Artist photos
Discuss this artist
Artist: Lee Konitz
Album: Toot Sweet
Title: Lovelee
Other performers: Michel Petrucciani
Authors: Konitz/Petrucciani

Lyrics
Search for Lee Konitz Lovelee lyrics ยป

Buy song
Napster – $0.99

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

eh ?? DMCA applys for Streamin media in the US!!

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Elias > This Google music feature has been out for some time.

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Brandon Byers -> I not sure what is wrong with Google Finance, from your perspective. Isn't one of its most interesting features how it links external articles to the graph of the stock price?

khoyot3 [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

You can also find it in spanish
http://www.google.com/musica?aid=Efrq7B3CvfK&sa=X&oi=music&ct=result

Ss [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

they come up like pandora

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!