Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Sam Davyson's Web Riddle

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, May 11, 2006
18 years ago22,133 views

OK.......post posts about it in here from now on rather than in the Da Vinci Code Quest thread :)

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ok. Whoever is in Washington just got close again. Just look a little more carefully.

18 years ago #

Washington person: No. Not that kind of thing. You tried it a while ago. YOu just missed a few bits.

18 years ago #

No. Wrong idea still.

18 years ago #

Person from Venezuela just got very close.

18 years ago #

Venezula is there – congrats.

WashingtonPerson [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

...okay, I give up!

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Sam: I shall resume the puzzle starting at Level 3 at lunch time today :-)

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Wow.....I am stuck at level 1.5a1 :(do i look for another clue or use the one from level 1??

18 years ago #

Level 4 now!

18 years ago #

During my lunch hour, I've just managed to finish four levels, so I'm up to level 8 now.

Sam – this is excellent!

:-)

18 years ago #

Tony that is awesome! I couldn't believe it at first but I checked the halls of fame (every 4 levels) and you really made it. Congratulations!

I am not lying when I say that level 9 does not exist yet. But there is one puzzle pre set 3 that I think you are working on now.

P.S. No one else made it past level 4.

Antigen [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Ah, just saw this thread, should've posted here. Hmmm so there are hint levels and I haven't hit one between 2 and 3 yet. . . maybe I'm not as close as I thought.

18 years ago #

Oops! Ought to have thought a bit more carefully. There weren't actually any for level 2. But I have just added two. Although they only kick in once you are on the right track.

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hmm...I am officially stupid! I am only up to level 1.5a1! lol .....I can't find any other clues! :(

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If anyone is willing to give me more tips or hints about the web riddle, you can contact me at Inevitable9s[put at-character here]aim.com or IM me at Inevitable9s, which is my screenname for AIM. :)

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

YES!! Level 1.5a2! (still pathetic), how much more specific can you get??

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Please, someone e-mail or IM me from previous post! :)

18 years ago #

Can someone re-post the URL? Lost it and I'm really stumped.

18 years ago #

http://riddle.davyson.com

Come on Washington you were close!

18 years ago #

I've tried so many different directions, I don't know which one is close. I haven't even made it to a .5 level :-(

18 years ago #

It is the direction that you tried least.

18 years ago #

Duhh...got it!

18 years ago #

Wahey! Congratulations!

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

AARGGHHH!!! *yanking at hair* AAARRRGHH!!! *rippin shirt* AAARGHHH!!! *trashing kayboard and monitor* AAARGGHHHHH!!

(its hard) (for me) :(

18 years ago #

Jay: Which level?

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1.5a2......can't find a clue......hehe

mrwendal [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

well i'm stuck on level 2! Think i have a clue but not getting anywhere with the hint pages – so i guess i'm way off!

NickG [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Level 2 makes no sense to me......I understand the riddle but the question I have is is the black box the oriinal text??? I don't know

I think I'm on the right track if it is I'll get it soon

Anon [PersonRank 7]

18 years ago #

Same here. Question: does the first part of the puzzle requires knowledge of html?

18 years ago #

Anon: I'd say very basic knowledge of HTML is required for the first part – i.e. if you know how to view the source you should be fine.

Buffcoat [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Stuck on Level 1 all afternoon – have found 1.5a2, then 1.5a1, but can't get the final answer. Tried a bunch of stuff to do with juggling and those cities, with 1.5a2 and those cities, reading about those cities. And, based on one of the comments in here, directions.

Any other ideas?

18 years ago #

Yes, Buffcoat. You need to do exactly what the riddle says. Exactly! Bear in mind that what you found to get 1.5a2 is significant. Look at the page => Do what the clue says => See you on Level 2.

Jon [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

What do you mean by original text?

18 years ago #

Jon: Please bear in mind that we have to keep this free of spoilers. For more specific advice / tips there is the email address. What you refer to is as plain as it can be already. I mean the original text.

18 years ago #

By the way for those who have reached to roof (i.e. level 8 & finished it) then I have some good news. Levels 9 to 12 are going live tonight. I am still working on 12 at the moment and want to release it as a full set. But once I am done it will be online. Those people who are at the set 3 doorway can see more info there.

Buffcoat [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Got it – very devious but very fair. Well done.

18 years ago #

Congratulations Buffcoat! Hope to see you on the Legends Board soon!

excy [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I've got 1.5a1 and 1.5a2 but just just can't see one of those jumbled up on that?! am I not looking at this right?

18 years ago #

excy: You are quite possibly not looking at this right. The .5 levels are to show that you are on the right path. They do not have clues buried within them themselves. You really need to follow my advice to Buffcoat above.

excy [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

No, can't do it.... it hurts me to look at the same thing for this amount of time. heh.

18 years ago #

Ok! You are not in the minority!

VP [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

AHA! I get it!

18 years ago #

Wahey! Congratulations.

VP [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

uhoh, my excitement is short lived. lol

VP [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

is level 2 related to level one at all?

18 years ago #

Not really. Although I am pretty sure it will take you less time than level 1. Now you have done one you are much more into the *kind* of thing you will need to do. People who got past level 2 particularly can normally get to level 8. Despite my trying: the difficulty of the levels decreases rapidly since users get used to the style of the riddle.

VP [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

whats the original text?

18 years ago #

Email me.

Cassie [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

am i really that stupid i can't figure out what to do someone help me

18 years ago #

Try /help!

Buffcoat [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

On level 2, I found the OT (easily) and have tried keying on the words in the riddle to interpret what stands out in the OT – I've tried several different avenues for solving it, but I haven't come up with anything solid to go on. I was kind of disappointed that entering the standout things didn't yield any hints.

Any ideas? I think there are three (?) parts to answering this one – I've got the first, I think I can get the third, it's that darn second one that's the problem.

18 years ago #

Buffcoat: Sorry that the words that you entered didn't give clues. The variety of phrases that people try is absolutely enormous with many of them being completely off the mark. There are not many hints on level 2 and I will add some more later.

1// Find the original text – you have done this.
2// Work out how it can be decoded.
3// Decode it & find solution.

2// is the hard bit, but you need to bear in mind what you see in the OT. Why is it coloured the way it is? What is the significance of those highlighted bits?

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yep its driving me mad, I know who the inspector is and I've tried to remember "line by line" but it doesn't deocde right!! :(

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think //3 is the hard bit :(

18 years ago #

3// just means anagram! If you have decoded it correctly then you are just seconds away from the solution.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yeah – but I don't think I have, I mean I know what its encoded in. Are the lines less tall than the lines of text?

18 years ago #

No. The lines are the lines of text. If you do correctly know what it is encoded it (2.5a or 2.5b) then you just need to work with the contents of one line of text at a time. Then rearrange the result.

18 years ago #

For Tony: Levels 9 – 12 are now online.

Pray you wont complete them as fast as you whipped through the others.

Buffcoat [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Sam – thanks for the hint. I certainly understand that it's impossible to come up with hints for all the things that anybody would enter.

I kind of think that level 2 is too easy now with the change you made this morning (keep it difficult!). I will send an email later today with a suggestion for a clue that might have helped me get it the old way (hindsight being 20/20, of course).

Let me repeat, though: this is a great puzzle.

18 years ago #

Buffcoat: The change this morning was a result of a misunderstanding someone had. It does make it easier though as everyone agrees. I will change it back.

Look forward to the new clue you will suggest.

T-mat [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I'm still working through Level 1 (and 1.5a and 1.5b)... and I think I understand the "premise"... my question: Is the URL/Answer always an actual word?

18 years ago #

Yes. By the sounds of it you are forgetting the "juggling around".

18 years ago #

Hey – no fair! Todd Paddock's beaten me to the "Legends of Set 3" list!

http://riddle.davyson.com/legends/

Currently stuck on Level 9... :-(

18 years ago #

You are there now too!

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Sam, you said I was missing "one more" to juggle, even though it takes no brains to find "them", I still can't find the last one!

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'm completely confused for decoding level 2 :(

18 years ago #

Look very carefully Jay. There are six.

Niraj: Do you know how to decode it at all? There is a new version of the OT up to help with this.

mrwendal [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Just got it! (level 2)
After much hair pulling, etc... it suddenly came to me!

I've got a feeling, with level 3 looming – this 'clever' feeling isn't going to last too soon!

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"I" got it Sam! :) Now I can't "juggle" it! Does the word have to do with Yerevan, Baku, and Nairobi?

Utills [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The clue I would give you is

"abstract" the clues and apply to puzzle

18 years ago #

mrwendal: Most people find level 3 the easiest of the first three. So I wouldn't worry.

Nice one Jay. No it has nothing to do with those words you listed.

Cuppojoe [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

What is my problem? AM I the only one who can't (easily) find the origianl text???

mrwendal [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Oh dear Sam – then that is bad news – not got it yet!
lol

Drawn a complete blank!

18 years ago #

Sam, thanks for the tip...I had to clear the cache to get the new image. Though I am still stuck :)

Cuppojoe [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Anybody feel like helping out with level 4?

Laura [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The new OT made me solve it in seconds-- I was looking at it the wrong way-- although I'm pretty sure I found a 'correct' right answer based on the way I was trying to solve it.
Got through level 3 in minutes.
Now I've spent the last couple hours on level four. I think I'm trying to make it waay too complicated. Maybe I should just get some sleep, instead of being an insomniac?

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'm on level 2 now, and I have no clue what the original text is..... :(

18 years ago #

Laura: Sorry had to change to the new OT to avoid too much confusion. People blast through the level quicker, but it must be fair.

Set 2 is often completed really quick too. Several people did it in half an hour or so.

VP [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

I don't think I'm looking for the right thing on level 2. If the original text is in the source, then how do I read it?

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'm stuck on pre set 3.

Thanks Sam, its sooo satisfying. And a great sense of humour, I was laughing for ages at the:

How can you be in "---"?

You silly person.

18 years ago #

I still don't get the OT on level 2. I have it, but don't know how to decode it.

18 years ago #

got it finally! now stuck on 3.x (The one after 3.5).

18 years ago #

Jay & VP: The original text is not directly found in the source. But you should start your hunt for it there.

Splsaho: Thank you very much. The .5 level you quote is quite a good one.

Niraj: *Trying to think what level 3.5 is* If you are on "Golly you thought..." then the answer is pretty close by now.

Clare [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The new OT on L2 is a lot easier – I agree.. but Level 3 is still confusing me. I'm not sure if I've got to level 4 or not! Are all the levels a black box surrounded by white? I'm trying to say what I see!

Clare [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Doh, sorry – must have typed the url wrong with a previous try – got it!

Laura [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Is anyone else having the difficulty with level 4 that I am?
I thought that I had at least figured out level 4.5, but I was wrong. Is there a level 4.5? Am I not on the right track at all?

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think I figured out what the original text is, but how to decode it?? Apparantly I must "juggle" something too..

Laura [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I think by juggle it just means anagram. Once you decode it it's fairly easy to figure out :)

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

hmm.. i can't seem to find the anagram for it, i am probably trying it with text that is not the original text ... :(

Laura [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

You might be doing something wrong at step 2. When I got to step 3, I saw the answer immediately from the letters, didn't have to really think at all.

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

is the original text in the source or on the page itself?

18 years ago #

Jay: strictly speaking, it's neither – but you will find it if you analyse the source...

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

hmm.....nope.....doesn't click :)

Ceelu [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Sam,

Great job on making a really challenging riddle! Me and a group of guys at my school have spent days working on this, currently we're all stuck on pre set 3 :(
(and tearing our hair out). Could you be any more vague? Just joking :P

Once again, great job!

18 years ago #

I'm also stuck on pre set 3!

Alexander Abboud [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

What is Sam's email adress?

18 years ago #

My email address is on the website. (On every level page as it happens).

Now though I am trying to make people use the forum I have just created instead which is linked on the site.

18 years ago #

Here's how to find the forum for the level you're stuck on: http://riddle.davyson.com/forum/

18 years ago #

If I post this now will this thread collapse....

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Nope.... :)

But my mind has....... ORIGINAL TEXT.......APPEAR!! ................ help :)

18 years ago #

To those that reached the end of Sam's riddle (or if you're just too stuck :) there's a riddle that was inspired by it: http://riddle.nirajsanghvi.com

Start the Amazing Web Race!

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Cool! Except I didn't even get past level two in Sam's quest, so I don't know how well I will do on this one! :)

18 years ago #

Well, this one is different in some ways. A friend and I made it to pass the time after the Da Vinci Code Quest and Google's next round of puzzles.

The style appears similar, but it is actually quite different. You'll have to play it to see what I mean :)

18 years ago #

What Niraj means is:
- it is still online.
- it is still hard.

But apart from that:
- it is all different.

aaron [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

i'm really bad at this i'm stuck on 1.5a1
hmmmm i don't know how often you check and respond to this but i'm getting antsy
ha
welll please help me

mania [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

stuck on level 7! a really tough one...!
can anyone give a small hint? i'm going to lose my mind!!!

18 years ago #

Attributes :)

Stuck in Seattle [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Stuck on level 3. Find the direction? Does the answer have 6 letters? help please!

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You have to shift a word in a direction with reference to the alphabet.

What directions can you think of?

Stuck in Seattle [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

hmm...any clues on what the word is that i need to shift...and I can think of a few ways to shift the letters of a word....is the final answer an actual word?

thanks!
SiS

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I started the quest! I went from level 1 to level 14.5a in just one second!?

18 years ago #

Not bad Jake!

18 years ago #

Sam, I think he means that he guessed the wrong word and ended up at that level by accident! (If you read the text used in Level 1, you can see how he could get to Level 14.5a...)

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Seatle if you read the clue it tells you what you have to shift.

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Tony – You're right. It was my only guess that went somewhere. After that guess, I tried other guesses, but none other worked.

mania [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

i thought that level 7 was difficult, but now that i have to solve the pre-set 3 riddle, i'm on my way right up to the mental clinic!! :)
the only things that are before the first level of set1 and set2 are credits and links. The "very beginning" has something to do, or i'm just losing it?

mania [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

ok, got it!
quite easy after all. But SO clever!

18 years ago #

Yeah I guessed that that is what he meant, but I still thought that was quite a good move. 14 levels in a few seconds.

18 years ago #

*That* was truly awesome – thanks Sam!

http://riddle.davyson.com/legends/

Michelle Caby [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I can't do level 1! Is it morris code? What do I do with those graphing numbers??

MacLaddy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Mania, I'm right where you were on your last post. Credits or links? I don't see a pattern anywhere in sight. A little help, if ya please!

MacLaddy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I don't know why I always get it right after I post, but Mania, that was clever BUT NOT EASY. I have grey hair from you, Sam.

Slynge dk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

A few of us are stuck on level 11. (Follow my lead...). We've read all about it in the forum, but we can't seem to get anywhere. We're thinking periodic system or musical notes or the alphabet or in other even more weird lines...
Please give us a direction. Thank you.

17 years ago #

Anyone complete set 5? I've got 6 words and numbers, but no idea what to do now.

[put at-character here]Slynge: Note that there are numbers 1 to 26. What is the significance of 26? Also, that center line represents numbers, so be careful to see which line the black mark is attached to.

MacLaddy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Anybody to 13? I can't seem to solve the picture. Google I've used, but no solution seems to work.

Slynge dk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

The last word in a picture... It's a good one! No skills – just think!

I'm having trouble with 14. I've seen the thing (and think I know what it means..) but can't seem to use it to get to even 14.a or 14.b which are mentioned a lot in the forum.

MacLaddy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

The last word in a picture I got. I can't remember what level that was. Thirteen is "You will not need to unearth the word."

Slynge dk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Oh, sorry, have you done the math? When you have, think about the fact that it was upside down...

Slynge dk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Ok, now I'm stuck again. On level 16. How do you get social with a command line? Do I have to put something in the YubNub-thing? And what to do with the pictures? Please help!

Slynge dk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

- I mean, are you supposed to do something with what's on them like a rebus or something, or was it just "the names" of the pictures you were supposed to get?

MacLaddy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Ahh, that did the trick. Once I stood on my head it became quite obvious. Thanks for the tip, Slynge

Slynge dk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Right!
By the way, I'm on level 20 now, so nevermind about the other one. Thanks.

MacLaddy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Ahh, Come-on now. I was just going to say that I finished 16 and I was going to race you to the end. Not a chance now.. Good job. Especially since you only beat me by sixteen hours.

Slynge dk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

You can still beat me. I'm only halfway through this one. It's the "level of levels" and it's tough.... Levels 17-20 weren't that tricky. Ask away and come give me a hand on 20!

MacLaddy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

17-18-19 were fairly simple, though my head almost exploded staring at that picture on 19. Where to start on 20... Hmmm..

Slynge dk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I'm having trouble with orange, so if can help me with that one I'll do my best to assist you on the others. I think the best way to go is to take one at the time. All the bits will come together in the end I hope. Slynge.

MacLaddy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I'm having a problem with all of 'em except yellow. I'm pretty sure I figured out the clue on Indigo, but I'm not sure how to apply it, and I see the clue on red but have no idea what to do with it. Style = Level1... I'm not sure how I made it this far, to be honest.

Slynge dk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Style=level 1 is all you need for red. And just try different things with the indigo-clue. Other clues will reveal themselves as you go along.

MacLaddy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Still a little stumped on red, but I managed to crack most the way through Indigo. Just stuck with the three words now. I'm have Orange in the back of my head. Where are you at?

MacLaddy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

"I have orange," that is.

MacLaddy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I hate to ask, but I have to. Does Red require pouring back over Level 1 for clues, as I have been, or am I completely off base?

Slynge dk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

There are no clues hidden back there, no. But remember what you did in Level 1. Something with c*******, right?

Slynge dk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Oh, and I finished. =) Hehe. ;)

MacLaddy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Congratulations!! Hopefully I wont be too far behind you.

Slynge dk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Thanks! How far are you? Sly.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!