Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Tips on Composing Emails  (View post)

donkey [PersonRank 1]

Sunday, May 14, 2006
18 years ago4,803 views

see if this is of any interest to anyone

http://www27.meebo.com/

Replacement for GTalker and may be better.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Personally I'd never hand out my Google Account password to a non-Google site...

Nathan Weinberg [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

Oh, god, this happens to me all the time! Every time I send an attachment, its in two parts. The first email says "Here is that file you wanted", and the second says "Oops, sorry about that" and actually contains the attachment.

GamingFox [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Another tip... Avoid CAPS LOCK at all cost. Once you press caps lock, you might forget it and end up with half or whole body full of capitalized letters. But to some people, they think caps will emphasize their message like "URGENT!!! SEND THIS LETTER TO YOUR BOSS!!!", which it never does. All it did is annoy the heck out of people.

And my personal favorite... When sending email to someone so he/she can forward it to the rest... Do not write the message as first person to that someone. I can't count all of the emails I see that said "Please forward this to the rest of community!" or "Please share it to the rest of community!" and attached the rest of the message...

Just put the message in the email and that whoever in charge will forward it for you. No need to say "FORWARD IT!" or anything like that.

Ido [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

KDE's Kmail has a nice feature regarding attachments, if the program sees that you wanted to send an attachment (if, for example, you wrote "see enclosed attachment") but you forgot to attach one, it asks you nicely whether or not you wanted to attach one.

that could be a nice feature for gmail.

elyk [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

eudora also has that feature, but it's not opensource and I'm not sure if it's in the "light" free version (the one without ads)

bartheq [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

"that could be a nice feature for gmail."

my friend once saw this kind of message when he wrote "I attached ..." and tried to send the message without any files. I tried it on my account but it didn't work so maybe they were testing in on limited number of accounts.

too bad he didn't take a screenshot but I'm 100% sure he wasn't making it up (:

Bob [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Gaming Fox

How are either of those tips helpful?

How could I possibly type a message full of caps accidentally, unless of course I was staring at the keyboard while typing.

Second, why would I forward a message to anyone unless I had some type of indication that forwarding was expected. If I received a message that needed to be forwarded to additional people I would expect instructions to do so.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!