Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Comparison in job apply Google vs. Yahoo vs. Microsoft

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, May 31, 2006
18 years ago18,021 views

I "archived" aka cleaned my email account and I came across a few mails from my applyings to Google, Yahoo! and Microsoft and would like to share them with you, so you can see what company is more "human".

Google:
Dear Applicant,
We recently received your resume and would like to thank you for your
interest in working at Google. After reviewing your resume, a member of our
staffing team will be in touch if we find you may be a fit for the role for
which you've applied. Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Google Jobs
jobs[put at-character here]google.com

---

Yahoo!:
We're excited that you are interested in Yahoo's [Job Title] position. Now we have a better idea of your career interests, so we can consider you for similar Yahoo! opportunities in the future as well. If our Talent Acquisition team determines that you are a potential match for a Yahoo! job, you'll hear from us.

Your interest in becoming a Yahoo! (if you're not one already!) is the ultimate compliment to us. We appreciate you taking the time to explore Yahoo! career opportunities.

[Link to the job description]

---

Microsoft:
Your resume has been entered into our resume database and made available to recruiters who specialize in the areas matching your skills, strengths and area of your interest.

Your resume will remain active in our database for up to one year and you will be considered for future positions for which you are well-suited. Note that you do not need to resubmit this resume unless your contact information or work history changes.

Thank you for considering Microsoft Corporation as a potential employer.

Staffing Department
Microsoft Corporation
http://members.microsoft.com/careers
---

Note to Yahoo!
They add the job title you applied for in your email and they append a link to the job description.

Of course, these are all automated, but the Yahoo! email looks and makes me feel better.

Any thoughts?

Hm... That could have been a post for my blog... I don't care ;-)

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

<Of course, these are all automated, but the Yahoo! email looks and makes me feel better. >

same here....

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

none are humaninzed yet.. rather they ahve no clue on howto scale for real talent management and Human Capital Aquistion in a high demand and volume scenarion.. They must be getting in the average at least 3-5K apps a day .. So its impossible for them to manually respond.

I think all these companies will soon need a team like the " mechanical turks", just to wade thru App's and respond.!!

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

YES A Very urgent Note since you wrote about this subject.

Weired how Google and their mission to organize the word information.

Did you Know that even if you send ten different job applications to Google , you always get an answer back that they received your cv and another answer that will follow saying SORRY,,,, but Unfortunately you will never know for which position you were refused.

It is a fact and no one has noticed it or ?

Lea [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Hmmm, and I never got a response from Google at all...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Your perfect Google job application...

-------------

Hello Google,

I'm a fan of your company and would like to work with you. I'm 23 years old. I've started building my own computer at the age of 5, which coincidentally was also the year I learned programming BASIC. I quickly moved on to more advanced languages like C++, SmallTalk, and Lisp, but then briefly lost interest in programming to get heavily involved in advanced maths during the age of 8-10. I've then started maintaining my own internet server, before I developed a fast MySQL replacement in assembly language, my second hobby (my first is Sudoku, the variant with 99 squares for each row). During my teenage years, I've led a team of neighborhood geeks to build a man-like robot, but it unfortunately ran away looking for its father. I kept a software copy of the robot's brain though, in fact, it's that copy which writes this email for me. Hope you take me!

Yours,
John

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Philipp.... aside from the 23 (I'm 24), and including the c++ in the 5 year old tasks, (I stuck to c because it worked on more platforms) how did you know my story?

ohh and thanks for changing the name to protect me!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

==>copy of the robot's brain

Phillip, do you have "eskow" account for the codebase ?? :)-

Linda James [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I do think the Yahoo response is warmer, but I wish they'd check their grammar ("a better idea" when they couldn't have had the first idea, never having heard from me before; and the second sentence is bad).

Yes, I'm a grammar geek.

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"No standard job position containing all your search requirements were found."

"Your job search did not match any openings"

"Suggestions:

* Make sure all resume words are spelled correctly.
   * Try different buzzwords.
   * Try more general buzzwords."

Stephan Locher [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

If the response is representative for the working atmosphere I would like to work for Yahoo!.

Corsin: This looks all like the first automated response, how long did you have to wait for such an answer and were there any following communications like a letter of refusal or something?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> "No standard job position containing all
> your search requirements were found."

heheheheh... that's definitely Google-style.

Arun Kumar [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

If they don't find any suitable position, than they reply with this mail.

We received your resume and would like to thank you for your interest in
Google. After carefully reviewing your experience and qualifications, we
have determined that we do not have a position available which is a strong
match at this time.

Thanks again for considering Google. We wish you well in your endeavors
and hope you might consider us again in the future.

Sincerely,
Google Staffing

GooYaMicked [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

What ??? Google doesn't include ad links ... like to other job openings at ... Yahoo, MS, Amazon, the Salvation Army ?
8--<=

prem [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1. Yahoo
Surely the best reply... Good branding too ;) Yahoo!!! We're excited... hmm speaks a lot abt their creativity...

2. Google
Soft Hearted reply... nice, not very creative though surprising Google is supposed to be very creative... & also check your sentences GOOGle HR... Its not a member of our staffing team will be in touch if we... I guess it is a member of of our staffing team will get in touch...

3. Microsoft
As always the bad guy... why is it that MS loves to be so cold... have you seen the whole comments nobody cared abt MS reply.

Mr.Gates... I guess your company should learn a thing or two from southwest airlines and their work philosphy...

Anshul [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It is funny about google, as some of you said, if you mail to jobs[put at-character here]google, you in 13 days get a automatic reject! i havent heard anyone who has got a positive reply from them!
When i tried applying to the head of HR recuiting, NO REPLY!!

maybe i am just ranting, but google, being a swell situation it is now, is turning as cold as Microsoft...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!