Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Was Google Analytics down for a few hours?

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, June 7, 2006
18 years ago3,141 views

Was Google Analytics down yesterday?
see attachment
http://cocaman.ch/images/google_analytics.jpg

Any news on that?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I have exactly the same in my reports.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

smae here

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I know that yesterday they sent out a whole slew of new invite codes. (I know because I got two) possibly something happened with that?

Michael [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I saw the same thing, only today after 1am. Several sites in my account, with combined daily visitors averaging several thousand, and a grand total of 4 visitors today (none after 1am).

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

me too...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This is kinda sad. I am just starting to give Google Analytics a try on another blog, and now I'm seeing these reports again. I mean next to not having data for that time, which is bearable, doesn't this result in one of those endless blue loading bars in the browser (even if you include the snippet in the footer zone)?

Dan Cousar [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Well, it depends on how they have coded it and exactly what type of problem it is. If Google knowingly saw that they were going to have to drop their ability to grab stats for some time they might have just "turned themselves off" which would just mean that their code would return true actually quicker then usaul. Now on the flipside if their problem was caused by some huge server problem that resulted in not being able to access databases when you tried to connect to them, then you would have a delaying problem more then likely. And in that case Google would again probably just "turn themselves off" so that not to anger people into taking their code off their websites.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> I mean next to not having data for that time,
> which is bearable, doesn't this result in one
> of those endless blue loading bars in the
> browser (even if you include the snippet in
> the footer zone)?

From what I've seen, this is more likely to be a problem with compiling the reports rather than collecting the data. When this happened before, the data was missing for only a day or so, after which it appeared in my reports. If this is the case, it almost certainly wouldn't cause any problems for the site using the JS tracking code. (I'm not saying it *never* would – just that it probably didn't cause any problems in the original case above.)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!