Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Firefox Extension Adds Wikipedia to SERPs  (View post)

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, June 7, 2006
18 years ago5,950 views

Do you think the guy who left eBay to join WIKIA will be happy or sad about this extension ?

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

>I usually enter “wikipedia” along with a search query to get to Wikipedia.

Entering "wiki" works very well too.

Nice extension by the way!

[Off-Topic]

Talking about FF extensions, later after signing up for the Allpeers beta, I received on Apr 5th an invitation email saying that I should enter up to 3 email to send activation keys to use the extension. None of us received anything since.

Is anyone on the forum using the extension ?

Nanaki [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

If you're using Firefox, just type "wp [subject]" in the address bar.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You can try http://a9.com to see Wikipedia next to search results. Now a9 has search results from MSN, but lets you search a lot of other sites (for example, Flickr).

Patrick [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

You can also configure the search box pulldown for wikipedia. I use one that queries wikipedia through Google.

Does the Wikipedia entry created by this plugin block Google's ads on the right hand side?

Ken Kuhl [PersonRank 7]

18 years ago #

FYI: What Nanaki describes above is called a "Quick Search" bookmark in Firefox. A very useful tool. The Wikipedia Quick Search is a default included with Firefox, but you can create your own (or customize; I've changed mine to simply "w" instead of "wp" for wikipedia searches, for example). For more on this see: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_keyword_searches

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Thanks for those FF tips!

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I use wp [subject] as mentioned above. Wikipedia is my number one resource for 90% of factual content.

Bryan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I'm with Patrick above. I just put it on my search box list along with Google, Google Image, Leo, and IMDB searches.

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"displays a Wikipedia article to the right-hand side of Google search results."

The horror, the horror ...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yeah I can hear Seth's voice in my head right away.. "The horror, the horror .."

Wiki and Google may not mesh well together at all

Randy [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Too bad Wikipedia is not accessible in China!:(

Mark [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It's a good idea, however, the wikipedia article often makes the page indeterminately long and as a result makes it hard to advance through results. It would be nice if it could be turned on and off with one click.

Monu Agrawal [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Mark you can click on hide/expand to turn it (visually) on/off.
I have been using it for few days, and found very usefull, (spl. when I was searching for fifa players)

Mathias Schindler [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I've been using it for about a week and I simply love it. My fear is that google lawyers will send a nice little letter to the author of this extension for using the word "google" in an unauthorized product (that also removes every adwords) on the restults page.

xLight [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

what a pretty good EXT !

ph,shit! I am in China.

Dint [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

I always use site:wikipedia.org while I could also just select the wikipedia search in my FF searchbox. =P

James Hall [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Thanks for blogging about my extension. I hope some of you find it useful :)

[put at-character here]Mark: It can be turned on and off with one click by clicking 'Hide'. The nav links have now been moved directly below the search results, instead of at the bottom of the page.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!