Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Chinese Gov't Replies to Google  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Friday, June 9, 2006
18 years ago5,361 views

Google ought to be helping spread the word about circumvention tools if they want to show that they're really on the users' side.

/l [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

So you really think the way to help the Chinese people is to incite them to revolt and subvert the system by breaking the law?

As I see it, what you propose will get people into jail. Care to rethink your statement?

You are not in China, you are not chinese, so why do you think that what is right for you is right for them?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"The Golden Shield Project was launched in November 2000. Hundreds of companies from over a dozen countries attended a trade show in Beijing called Security China 2000. Among the organizers was the "Chinese Communist Party Central Committee Commission for the Comprehensive Management of Social Security." According to the show's organizers, the Golden Shield was created for "the adoption of advanced information and communication technology to strengthen central police control, responsiveness, and crime combating capacity, so as to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of police work."

....'nuff said

/l [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Again, you propose people break the law? Is that it? And is that what you think Google should incite people to do?

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

All the major companies are struggling with China. Someone please explain to me why they just don't come together, and resist these foolish Chinese laws. I don't expect a big change from that, but perhaps the regime would lighten up on enforcing this stuff.

Rigel [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The reason why they don't come together? Look on the bottom of half the things you own. If it doesn't say "made in china" you're lucky. Otherwise, welcome to the world of commerce

Biyeah [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

As Chinese, we need Google.com and don't want to lose it. I hope Google could find a new way in this game, such as change google.com/intl/zh-CN/ to google.com/intl/english/. Could it be useful?

MyNewCat [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

"Again, you propose people break the law? Is that it? And is that what you think Google should incite people to do?"

Hell yeah. In almost every situation where people have risen against their oppressors, it has involved breaking a law.

Why do you think people want to revolt against ludicrous and oppressive laws anyway, just for the hell of it?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> Again, you propose people break the law?

I wouldn't suggest for anyone to risk their live breaking the law (who am I to make that decision?), but yes sometimes brave people do break the law if the law is inhuman. In Nazi Germany, around 65 years ago, you'd break the local policies if you were hiding a Jewish person in your basement, saving him from Nazi killings. (Am I saying the current Chinese gov't is as bad as Nazis? No, I'm only making a comparison on when breaking policies might be illegal yet morally justified.)

/l [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

>I wouldn't suggest for anyone to risk their live breaking the law (who am I to
> make that decision?), but yes sometimes brave people do break the law if the
> law is inhuman. In Nazi Germany, around 65 years ago, you'd break the local
> policies if you were hiding a Jewish person in your basement, saving him from

Right, and I agree that breaking the law may be the means to a better end. But that is not for us to decide or incite (us as in american and european people). That's a choice the Chinese people have to do on their own. And they know better than we do, whats right for them.

If they start such a revolt, it's only fair we support them, but we have no moral stance in starting it, neither does any western corporation.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

==>"..but we have no moral stance in starting it, neither does any western corporation"

I agree with you on that. But at the same time, one cannot and should not support supression of information. If the People dont have access to the information to make informed decesions for themselves, that what is that ?? A regime which does not permit freedom of thought.

Let the gvernement, permit the information flow through. then there wont be breaking any moral and/or other laws..

When that information impower the people, then if leads to a revolt or whatever that becomes a seperate issue to figure out if it moral , lawfull and other such criteria can be made othe international authorities :)-

Brandon Byers [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

| ... the Chinese ... know better than we do,
| whats right for them.

A major problem is right there. The Chinese *don't* necessarily know. How many are entirely ignorant of what happened in early June, 1989? How many happily use the internet to find out about Chinese Idol (whatever it's called), oblivious to the rest of the world? IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH, *indeed*.

| The reason why they don't come together? ...
| "made in china" ... welcome to the world of
| commerce.

And that is another major problem. The US, and the world, have for a long time enjoyed artificially low prices, and few manufacturing jobs, due to offshore manufacturing. Take China's manufacturing clout, along with the frightening amount of U.S. debt that it personally owns, and you've got a beast you must tiptoe around.

While we'd love to stick it to the CCP for their wrongs, we simply cannot do it without igniting a major conflict. An economic war, which might entail a real one (as opposed to the fireworks show that Iraq has been for the past 3 years).

We've gotten to where we are thanks to luck, and signing a deal with the Devil. When luck goes away, that leaves only the Devil, and that's a tough spot to be in.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> If they start such a revolt, it's only fair we support
> them, but we have no moral stance in starting it, neither
> does any western corporation.

In the West we are not facing the Chinese propaganda, so we can of course voice our opinions and help the Chinese make the right decision. Every country is suffering propaganda from its gov't and mainstream media. Every single country in this world. Germany. The US. Anywhere. When we network ourselves through the net, we should help ourselves make the right decisions by sharing informations and opinions.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!