Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Follow-up on Net Neutrality  (View post)

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

Friday, June 9, 2006
18 years ago4,778 views

all of us here in the US knew this was going to happen. telecommunication companies have been lobbying against this for years now. big service providers should have entered the race then and not at the last minute.

Rigel [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

It's an inaliable fact of life. Too much of anything makes people crazy. Everyone in upper government is crazy in the United States. Democracy in America could work, if people bothered to contact their representatives. You can argue the case of ignorance, but write to yoru representative about "what you know".

I can't write to my representative because I don't have one. But I would if I could. That's for sure.

pacificdave, did you write to yoru representative?

ContentWorth [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Any chance this will be one of those things that gets caught up in Congress for years and eventually voted down before anything changes?

Trogdor [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

People in the US have a hard time caring about their government. Why? They can vote, can't they? They can un-elect the bad apples, right?

No, not really. It's great to be free to vote, but if your only (real) choices are Coke and Pepsi, are you really faced with much of a choice?

Myself, I applaud the Libertarians for trying, and fighting the good fight. I just don't see it going anywhere ...

Joe [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The US government isnt run by the people. There are too many stupid people to allow that, the government just makes all the stupid people think they have a say, while the rest of us sit here hopelessly watching officials abuse their power in greed.

t xensen [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

> "There are too many stupid people ..."

The dismantling of the U.S. educational system has created a vast ignorant electorate that is dangerously susceptible to demoguery (cf. Bush, Schwartzenegger). Not to be paranoid, but this seems somehow ... intentional.

As for net neutrality, the vote is a setback, but I'm not sure it's been "definitively rejected." There may still be hope.

likwidshoe [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I find it illuminating to see many of the same supporters of "net neutrality" arguing for more government regulation while at the same time complaining about "stupid people" in the government. Well...who do you think will be regulating with these new-found powers should this ever come to pass?

I, for one, am glad that this isn't going anywhere just yet. Let the market sort it out. It's not like bandwidth isn't increasing by leaps and bounds and it isn't as if the field is about to be levelled by "the little guy" with the advent of newer wireless technologies. Why not just wait instead of asking for the government to start meddling? Technology will quickly figure it out and we'd be left with government regulation that is no longer "needed".

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

From Digg:

The US Gov' is opening comments on how the Internet should be run concerning the net neutrality debate.

Anyone how wants to contribute should sent en email no later that JULY 7th to:

DNSTransition[put at-character here]ntia.doc.gov

http://digg.com/tech_news/The_Internet_needs_YOU!
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/02/ntia_icann_consultation/

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!