Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Chomsky's Understanding Power  (View post)

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, June 20, 2006
18 years ago5,723 views

Should we understand Power ? is there Positive and Negative power ?
Elias Canetti shows that Power drive the Mass.
Chomsky did a great HTML book and a great way for marketing.
I heard Chomsky about the War in Lebanon and he was so objective, I do recommend his book.

Silverbrow [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I don't want to get too political here but you're wrong on Chomsky. He's been widely discredited recently – especially on his coverage of the Balkans and Israel and Palestine.

Take a look here http://oliverkamm.typepad.com/blog/2006/06/chomsky_bambooz_1.html

Chris [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Silverbrow,

I'm not saying you're wrong, but could you please link to someone reputable who discredited Chomsky. Or at least several other sources to back out your claim of 'widely' discredited.

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Debunking of Kamm:

http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2005/11/oliver_kamm_mar_1.html

Let's start the clock ticking, to see how long until the "magic word" appears.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

'Chomsky is neither “left” or “right”'
I don't know if you are referring to the man or what he says in the book. If you are referring to the man I think he definitely is leftist

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Chomsky is a bit of a nutter really. if he was around in WW2 he be complaining about D-Day, and saying how the American were all "imperialist" for dareing to attack Hitler's Germany.

he's also an apologist for terrorism. sorry , cant stand the guy.

Sunil Nair [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

When you root for the underdog, it always sounds "leftist". And, if you care to go deep into the birth and causes of terrorism anywhere, it's always bacause the underdogs (read poverty) never got justice, or terrorism was spawned by the powers-that-be for political gains that later went out of control and went on to get a mind of it's own.

This discussion can only get too political or just peter out.

JR [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Can I ask what in the hell this has to do with Google? If I wanted to read about Chomsky or anyone else in the political arena I would be at a different website!!

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This blog is only "80% Google". If you don't like what Philipp writes enough to consider the blog worth reading then it would seem worthwhile to find a different website.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

JR: lol... Well this blog can also be a place for sharing interesting stuff.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The "80% Google" is a joke. I think we should look at Chomsky's contributions to linguistics and formal languages and disregard his political views, like:

"I should say that when people talk about capitalism it's a bit of a joke. There's no such thing. No country, no business class, has ever been willing to subject itself to the free market, free market discipline. Free markets are for others. Like, the Third World is the Third World because they had free markets rammed down their throat. Meanwhile, the enlightened states, England, the United States, others, resorted to massive state intervention to protect private power, and still do."

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The "80% Google" (as I understand it) represents (in a funny way) the fact that the blog is not solely dedicated to Google, and that the author will cover other interesting things e.g. just now BlogSitting

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yup. :)

By the way, I appreciate all of your opinions on Chomsky/ this post.

B. [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

The Google connection: According to the Arts and Humanities Citation Index, between 1980 and 1992 Chomsky was cited as a source more often than any other living scholar, and the eighth most cited scholar overall.

Trogdor [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

Clearly just like how Google employees have their 20% time, Philipp has his own 20% time in which he deviates from the big G and discusses something interesting to him. Frankly, I don't mind, and I like it.

Regarding terrorism, I find this quite funny:

"... if you care to go deep into the birth and causes of terrorism anywhere, it's ... the underdogs (read poverty) never got justice, or ... spawned by the powers-that-be for political gains that later went out of control ..."

Yes, keep on repeating this, and perhaps someday you'll start to believe it. Because we all know, terrorism has *nothing at all* to do with religion, now does it?

I mean, the IRA and KKK were all atheists, right? And of course there is the Group-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (you know, the one thing most terrorists in Indonesia, Asia, Middle East, Africa have in common, but like Voldemort, you're not allowed to say it).

JWUBS [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Please, don't spread the words of a hate mongering liar like Chomsky around.

Eoin Dubsky [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Nice one Phillip! I read your blog (auch auf Deutsch) whenever I can to keep up to speed with "alternative" Google news. I'm an avid reader of Noam Chomsky too, and think it's cool that you've blogged about this important book.

Another similar author is Australian journalist and documentary film maker John Pilger.

john [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

http://antichomsky.blogspot.com

[Second URL removed as I could not see the relevance of it. -Philipp]

MAtt [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Chomsky is right about capitalism. Free markets don't really apply in the worldwide corporate hegenomy.

So do free markets apply to search engines?
Don't most search engines utilize google now?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!