Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Blogsitting  (View post)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, June 20, 2006
18 years ago4,525 views

Most blogs (bnot Blogger though) allow you to "Post to a future date". Before you go on holidays, you "stack up" your blog with future-dated posts that will be drip-fed onto the front page during your holiday.

That's one side of the problem solved.

The other side of the problem is deleting spam. Can the deletions wait a week or two until you get back? Can you find time for an occasional quick log-on during your holiday?

Blogsitting sounds worthwhile for a very successful, very high traffic blog but for anything else (my blogs for example) it would be much more trouble than it could ever be worth.

Michael Fagan [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

Absolutely, not just anyone is a suiteable replacement. Only a blogger really knows who could "blogsit" their own blog.

If you're looking for a vacation of <=1 week I might consider it ;-). The search engine blog I wrote in summer 2002 was a lot of fun, except it took me too much time each day. http://www.faganfinder.com/blog/2002_06_16_archive.html

akif sever [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

good

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'll study a lot Philipp, and maybe, very maybe, I'll be a worthy blogsitter for you. But it'll sure take a long time...

bobob [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

A problem with getting a blog such as Google Blogoscoped 'blogsat' is that it is so specific. With more general blogs covering a very wide and versatile area, the blogsitter would not necessarily have to have exactly the same interests as the writer and the level of knowledge of the individual blog.

I got a blogsitter for my blog a while ago through a forum, and it proved so successful that my blogsitter now posts all the time. But a service like this seems silly seeing as it will never have a wide enough user base for it to work.

Longinus [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I don't really understand how could someone think to crate such a service.
I mean, as Philipp said, if a blog doesen't deal with "generic issues" or issues wich resources are easy to find, its owner simply can't be replaced.

If I found someone who has the skills and the same intrests of mine, I maybe ask him to help me feeding the blog... but that would mean that I already know this person..

lol, dunno what to think about that..

PS sorry for the "maccheroni" english :)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If a blogsitter tries to replicate the style and content exactly, I think they will fail.

It's much better for a blogsitter to bring their own unique style. It's a refreshing interlude for the blog regulars too. Provided the blogsitter is interesting, readers will stick around because they know the blog focus will return to normal in a week or two.

Therefore, a blogsitter should be chosen for their own strengths rather than for their ability to imitate the blogger.

Mayank [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

I guess most of us believe that this service is not a very good idea or an idea which may not click and even I think that this is not the greatest of ideas. Even if my blog (http://reviewsaurus.com) is not at all popular and I hardly get any visitors, I'll not let anyone to post in my blog. The points which Philipp mentioned are absolutly right too..there is not just one thing involved in making posts, there are lot of things involved in posting and few are related to writing style only and that can be the most important one.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

As I blogger, I would just put up an "out on vaccation" posting :)- ...and leave it at that.. if my readers don't like that then they can take a hike...

ozgur alaz [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

For a marketing blog directing blog to marktd.com is a good choice while going holiday.

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I wouldn't let anyone post on my blog during vacation. Either I'll find spare time, or put up an "Out on Vacation" posting like /pd. My blog is too hard for anyone to write, because it's about my life.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!