Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Redesign

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, December 1, 2004
19 years ago

As you can see, I felt this blog was ripe for another redesign! Your thoughts are welcome.

19 years ago #

Ooops. Posting was disabled temporarily. Everything's back to normal now.

bernis [PersonRank 2]

19 years ago #

very nice redesign. still, i know you're against it but you should switch to separate pages for each post in my opinion. you will become more findable by google for specific topics ... and also your ads will become more targeted

19 years ago #

It would be better for separate articles, agreed Bernis, but what would I do with my one-sentence posts? I would either have to create a separate link-blog (but I really like to have it all in one), or live with the fact that for each of these senteces a complete page would be created – and possibly, only 10% of these pages would be indexed by Google because they would be filtered out for being too similar!

bernis [PersonRank 2]

19 years ago #

well .. you may be right .. i'm not sure ... your pages are quite lightweight so even if you have only one sentence post it still makes like 10% of the text in the page which i think should be enough. and most of your articles get linked from external pages ... so i think google would not considered it spam and indexed it.
still, you once said it's using blogger. isn't there chance to use both separate article pages and daily summary pages? so that only if someone really wants to he can click on article title and it will take him to separate page for the article? because right now it is even quite difficult to link to specific articles within a day ...
anyway .. it was just a suggestion .. you live with your blog every day so i know you thought about it many times and there are reasons why you decided to do it the way it is

bernis [PersonRank 2]

19 years ago #

and that way you can also use bloggers comment feature for each article

19 years ago #

I tried once to switch from many-posts-per-page to one-post-per-page, just to see. But with the Blogger.com Pro account I use, that would also destroy all my old pages (in the sense that all links anybody ever posted wouldn't point to the right post anymore).

Yes, you are right – I thought about this issue many times before. I see pros and cons.

The biggest bonus of posts-per-page would be that the links to each post would look nicer, and someone wouldn't jump to the middle of the page following one of the links to my blog.

Also, it would be nice when someone coming from a search engine (which doesn't understand anchors within a page) would only see the relevant article. That, and the more targetted Google Ads you mentioned.

I still feel a page with all the navigation and ads and headers containing just one sentence with a link would be the biggest problem.
I will think about this issue again.

bernis [PersonRank 2]

19 years ago #

yes .. there are pros and cons ... now i better understand your cons ...

still .. the issue of losing old links .. i'm not sure how blogger pro works ... but can't you just leave old files in the archive? so the old links will be still working? and add new ones using new style ... or will it delete everything from the archive directory before doing "publish everything"?

19 years ago #

I was hoping I could keep my old links intact, you are right! I was looking for a setting and also asked Blogger support for help, but no reply on that one. How I wish Blogger would offer an export functionality so I could handle the data myself...

Pierre [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Nothing important but the great thing is that Msn's blog system displays the blog options in several languages(that is to say comments turns into commentaires below the post)

Cynthia [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Phillip,

Please don't change the furum to one-post-per-page. As a user, I find all that clicking back and forth takes away from the linear flow of the conversation. I like to scan the converstaion with my eyes to see if there is content that i wish to read. With one-post-per-page --I read MUCH less overall content.

cynthia-ga
Google Answers Researcher

19 years ago #

Cynthia, Brian was referring to one-post-per-page for the blog posts at the front-page. I won't change the forum, though I was pondering if I could group several messages if the thread gets too long. But for now I too like it easy.

Ades [PersonRank 6]

19 years ago #

Hi Philipp,
Is there a reason for the left alignment of the page? Personally I like centered better.

19 years ago #

Ades, I was going for center-aligned at first, but there were some technical issues. But you remind me to try again.

19 years ago #

Thanks Ades! It's done now.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!