Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Berlin Search Engine Workshop  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, June 27, 2006
18 years ago4,272 views

thanks for sharing.. ..must ahve been a darn good round considering that Benjamin Edelman was also presenting..

I hear you on the "bad" and "good" type of censorship..!!

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes, thanks for the report.

Regarding:
"I wonder if the “market” aspect of US fair use law recognizes positive effects as well?"

The text of the law says in part:

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

"4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work."

So, positive effects are within the text.

But note that's different from an assertion of positive effects (that is, the courts are very unaccepting of an argument that infringement is free advertising so it's a positive effect on the market).

Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Oh now I know why Philipp wasn't posting those last 2 days.

thanks for the report.

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

What is important to remember in the context of Google.de censorship and similar issues is that Google has an overwhelming market share in Geramny of 90%! So unlike in the US in Germany Google is a real monopoly. So information suppressed by Google almost ceases to exist. Businesses are dependent too. Who doesn't show up there can easily go bankrupt.

Stephan Locher [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

"I think it’s funny that some news sources want to be included into Google News badly or complain if they’re shut out, yet others like AFP want to be excluded. "

Little and not so important sites wan't to be included in google because they get a greater market, big and well known sites wont because if the are included it's obvious that they aren't of much more value then the other news sources.
It's kind of the same with price search tools like toppreise.ch: A lot of well known online shops refused them to include their prices because they aren't as cheap as they say.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!