Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Best and Worst of Digg v3  (View post)

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, June 29, 2006
18 years ago10,237 views

Best: Really like the down arrow that they have to indicate which of Recently Popular/Top Today/This Week/This Month/This Year you are on.

Worst: The width of the pages. I think before it wasn't a fixed width. Now with the menus and ads on comments pages the percentage of your screen used for content is about 50% horizontally.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think that replays for buried comments should be hidden too. Those are things like "this comment is stupid" or "let's burry this comment". Maybe thats right, but I don't want to read disscusion about stupid comment that got burried.

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

like: they did away with the stupid pop up whenever you marked a submission as lame or dupe. now the article fades to a lighter gray.

dislike: the ad placement is horrendous.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Best: The coming-soon digg visualization.
Worst: No "Link" catergory, have to "clear search" after every search.

Chris Campbell [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Wow something I actually agree with on your blog haha. Great evaluation.

SirNuke [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Dislike: The comment moderation system. Probably the most self-defeating system in existence. The point of moderation is to promote quality posts and remove/demote poor quality posts. Giving unlimited points to every single user means people digg/bury based upon whether they agree with the post. Even worse, it allows some one (or organization) to create a bunch of accounts to promote/demote certain views. Almost eliminates the usefulness of allowing comments. Digg could really use to take a few pointers from Slashdot on this, preferably before the GNAA and similar organizations invade Digg.

Other than that, I like the additions, really like the undigg feature. The page layout (for the most part) is well thought out and cleanly done. Similar idea to Newsvine, but the implementation is superior.

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

For all the comments complaining about ads,

Adblock + Filterset.G = a great alternative to clean up Digg's page.

Adblock: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/10/
Filterset.G :https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1136/

friol [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I think you could undigg stories even in digg v2.

And I like the fact that now you only need 2 steps to submit a story (intead of 3).

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> I think that replays for buried comments
> should be hidden too

I think the general problem with burying comments is the difference between "I disagree with this guy's opinion" or "I don't think this guy's opinion ought to be visible in this debate." For the former, well, even when I disagree, different opinions are part of a good discussion. (In fact, in any given thread you might want to look out for "far off" opinions to expand your horizon, because you already heard & understood the rest.) For the latter, well yeah, trolls who add nothing to the discussion might need to be buried. I think the Digg interface still needs to improve a lot in these regards if they want to have the best usability.

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

worst: left hand nav (i fixed that using Stylish and a css hack)

best: the extra categories

Adam [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Worst: no Sports section. What's up with that? I know I'm not the only geek who is also a sports fan. I get Gaming, Entertainment and I love the Video section. But no Sports?!

I was hoping that Digg could be my one-stop-shop for all my news. It was probably an ambitous goal anyway, but that's what I was hoping.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Undigg *was* there in the last version but it was extremely well hidden if I remember correctly. I agree with the too many ads bit. they're getting a little cocky, hope that doesn't hurt them in the long run.

Kenneth [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

<blockquote>As for the navigation to the left, I’m undecided but got a feeling it would be better positioned on the right side.</blockquote>

I definitely agree.

Lucomo [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Hillarious: That you need to login to read articles in the other non-technology ("beta") sections. I subscribed to the RSS feed for "All Sections" a few weeks ago and read Digg only via RSS and quickly got angry about that many articles now suddenly needed a Login to read them. I throw away the feed and turned my back to Digg till a friend explained me that only the technology sections are free. I guess that many passive, reading-only users of Digg got angy in the last days.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

>worst: left hand nav (i fixed that using Stylish and a css hack)<
The hack is wreck though. I guess Kevin(yeah, Rose) is left handed.

VanJoe [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Worst – Forcing you to login to view some items and not others. If there's an RSS feed available for people who are not logged in then it shouldn't have items listed in it that require logging in... its just painful

ethan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

worst, that seemingly every other post is Digging Digg, and how great it is.

rogerj [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It's impossible to edit descriptions during posts.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!