Google Blogoscoped

Forum

gmail spam

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, July 5, 2006
18 years ago3,010 views

Has anyone else noticed the spam filter as worse in the last few days? I've had quite a few 419s getting through

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes, I have been getting emails with no content and image attachments quite a bit recently. They seem to always have a one-word subject with a dash at the end, so it seems strange that the Gmail spam filter is not catching it.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I have many that are as Niraj describes. No text but image attachments (normally looks like a piece of text split onto various images).

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Although I guess those are quite hard to catch since that's often how I send photos to friends.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Sam I've got those too, it was like some snippets of Google Book Search although they were not cut nicely horizontally but a kind of random. I wonder what the use of that kind of spam is, I didn't see directly any clickable links or so... I however didn't receive them in my Gmail for as far as I know, I can keep my Gmail quite clean for the moment (keep my fingers crossed...)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

spam has increased by about 30% for me ..normally it hovors aroundt he 200 mark..but yesterday and today it hits the 300 mark.. ..

I really dont check what in it.. but just delete..

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I heard that it's a Gmail bug, and Google will fix it soon.(hope so)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I've had an increase in unfiltered spam since yesterday, but it's usually a peak that goes over, that happened in the past. There are still lots of those two-random-words-from-the-dictionary-with-image-attachments drug spams (or whatever they spam for).

Sunil Nair [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

I get a lot past the spam filter too. Almost without exception, the ones that make it into the Inbox has the words "Yahoo Spamguard" in it (do not remember the exact sentence, though as I simply put a whammy on it as soon as I see it). Some have no sender's name and no subject.

When I catch the next one, I'll post the Yahoo Spamguard thingy in this thread.

SirNuke [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I have been getting quite a bit of spam through. However, Thunderbird has been recently choking on quite a bit of spam as well recently, so it's likely not limited to Google.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!