Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Microsoft, Yahoo Bridge IM Networks

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, July 13, 2006
18 years ago2,877 views

Source Beta news

Microsoft and Yahoo have followed through on a promise made nine months ago to enable interoperability between the companies' instant messaging networks. Beginning late Wednesday, customers will be able to beta test the functionality by registering their accounts.

The effort, announced in October, was expected to be complete last quarter, but Microsoft developers said they had to try a number of different technical methods to make it work. The Redmond company still considers the interoperability to be in beta, and adjustments will be made before the feature is available to all users.

[snip]

http://ideas.live.com/programPage.aspx?versionId=7adb59de-a857-45ba-81cc-685ee3e858fe

James Bradbury [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

WOW. I never thought this could happen. Google: watch out! Yahoocrosoft is on the loose!

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

lol :D
Just as long as we never, and I mean never, hear of Google-TimeWarnerAol

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

it works too.. cuz i did it this morning..

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

There are several flaws with this so far though (this is based on what i've read): (a) Yahoo and MSN users who want to communicate with each other have to both have the most up to date version of thier client. (b) Voice/Video are "next" to integrate. (c) connections are dropped a lot. (d) no allowance was made for yahoo accounts that aren't @yahoo.com (Yahoo DSL users have different domains)

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It's sad that this is not using pen standards like Jabber (XMPP).

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Another annoying thing. I've used both msn messenger and yahoo messenger. So I wanted to consolidated in one messenger. I can't do it, because if I want to do that, I have to re-invite all my contacts of the messenger that I quite. There is also no automation for this...

(And if I want to remove messenger, it always says that it is in use by a lot of programs, little enoying thing!!!!)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!