Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Official AdSense Blogs in Dutch, Spanish  (View post)

Ryan Govostes [PersonRank 1]

Monday, July 17, 2006
17 years ago5,643 views

Nice big number. Is that for this site?

Anonymous [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

LOL
Sure Ryan, Philipp earns more than 21 million dollars per month! :-)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< Nice big number. Is that for this site?

Oh, not again...

michperu [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

En cuestión de ingresos por AdSense vale ser globalizados «inglés, holandés o español»
¡Ah! Y muy buenos ingresos Philipp.

Johan Terpstra [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

The Dutch one is written in a very formal style unlike most of the other Google resources which are often written rather casually. "U" instead of "Je" like the German "Sie" and "Du". Seems a bot weird. They should loosen up a little there.

Also they write "dit Blog", is that what it's called in Ducth? I moved form Holland to the UK 5 years ago and admit I'm a little out of touch but it sounds to me like it should be "deze Blog".

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm glad that Dutch is the fourth languange, but I do not understand why. Why not e.g. French or an other 'bigger' language? Is Dutch really the fourth market language for Google? This would be very surprising...

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

In my limited experience of people visiting the websites I manage, Dutch is the third most popular (browser) language following English and Spanish. (And this was true even before they were localized...)

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tony, thank you for the very interesting information.

This is very strange because we are not with so many dutch speaking (22 million following Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_language). Mainly in the Netherlands and Flanders (North of Belgium with about 60% of the population).

Then you have the Dutch isles and South Africa (where some people speak Afrikaans which came from Dutch but is in fact a language on its own). I don't suppose South Africans but Dutch as main language in their browser.

How can we declare this? Maybe because other people, like French (Tomhtml?) visit not as often english oriented websites? Still French must be a bigger market for Google and its Adsense...

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

BTW I should use a spell checker before submitting... Sorry for that!

17 years ago #

<< In my limited experience of people visiting the websites I manage, Dutch is the third most popular (browser) language following English and Spanish.

I doubt that. Here's one small argument:

http://www.sifry.com/alerts/Slide0013-tm.png

17 years ago #

<< I doubt that. >>

Well, here are the stats for the website in question according to Google Analytics:

http://ruscoe.net/blog/uploads/google-analytics-languages.gif

17 years ago #

<< I doubt that. >>
I doubt it's a valid inference.

my stats:
1. en
2. de
3. fr
4. pl (Polish)
5. es
6. pt (Portuguese)
7. zh (Chinese)

17 years ago #

I was only referring to the websites I manage, so it's definitely valid as far as they go. Language stats will obviously differ from site to site because they're targeted at different groups and communities.

Google must have their reasons for releasing their Spanish and Dutch blogs though. Maybe it's as simple as AdSense appearing on a lot of Dutch websites and / or having a lot of Dutch users?

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ionut & Tony, I think you're both right. As I mentioned above I think that Dutch speaking people do look up english sites a lot more than people speaking other languages.

That's because the Dutch world is to limited and english sites are seen as 'international oriented' sites. I also think a lot of Dutch speaking people are publishing english sites or blogs. For that matter it is good possible that Google decided to market the Dutch speaking market as one of the first market.

I also agree that Dutch certainly isn't the third language in the internet world. So Ionut is right. It could maybe help this little idea exchange if we knew from which kind of site Ionut's stats came from.

The technorati stats are clear. They show the stats for all kind of blogs, not just english ones. So here my Dutch theory doesn't work...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!