Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google’s Secret billion dollar revenue stream ? the toolbar ???

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, July 18, 2006
18 years ago5,144 views

there is an interesting thought here

http://plentyoffish.wordpress.com/2006/07/18/google-secret-billion-dollar-revenue-stream/

Is this really one of googles Secrets ?? The google toolbar at $16/- per user per year, then its whopping amount if we take into consideration that there are at least 100Million users with the google toolbar!!

yes, MArcus has nailed down some pointeres which just makes his case stronger, imho!!

"For Google, which prizes the math Ph.D.'s it has on staff, the calculation is alarmingly simple. Google makes around $16 per user per year in advertising"

alek [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Having your toolbar has to be useful, since users will punch the search terms into that, and then go to YOUR search engine ... with the idea being you might click on the paid-for ads on the right. Smart business moves on Google's (and others) part.

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Let us see how worthful this forum is

Who uses a Toolbar (Google or others) and why?

Me first
– Don't use any toolbar, do not like them. I prefer to send my queries to Google via the website.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I use the Google Toolbar in both IE and Firefox. It started as the need for a spell checker, but I have grown to really like the search suggestions, highlighting search terms and even the Google Bookmarks link in IE. I added a third party extension to get the Google Bookmarks button in Firefox as well. AutoComplete is also used from time to time.

Tony

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I like the toolbar..sendto and pagerank helps me a lot

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I use the Google Toolbar for spelling correction and PageRank indicator, and I turned off all other features (including search...). Like Corsin I go to Google.com to search, or at other times simply use the address bar...

jilm [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

TonyB: Which extension?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I use the Google Toolbar in IE. I use it to search Google, Google Blog Search, Wikipedia and http://www.play.com (UK DVD/CD site). I also have have a few custom buttons installed in it that mainly act as bookmarks – i.e. Flickr, Gmail, my personal website, etc.

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The only thing I find useful in the toolbar is the PR status.

18 years ago #

iZeitgeist: if you use Firefox
http://www.tapouillo.com/firefox_extension/

Google Pagerank extension

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

>> iZeitgeist: if you use Firefox

What do you expect me to use ? I am a hardcore FF fanboy I erase all the IE icons and install FF on whatever computer I touch, my familly and friends think I am too obsessed with that. LOOL

Thanks for the handy link. Installed.

18 years ago #

I had to ask, everything else is political incorret :)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Google’s Secret billion dollar revenue stream ? I remember there was a report that > 50% of Yahoo Search traffic comes from the toolbar. Google has a much lower percent.

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I really don't like the extra clutter of toolbars. I'ver already got a "I feel lucky bar" (the address bar) and a regular search box on my right. I use a spellcheck extension and from what I read will be integrated into Firefox 2.0. Boy do I love Firefox.

iZeitgeist, I like to take that a step further. On my parents computer, I removed the IE icon, added firefox, and then changed the firefox icon to the IE icon just to get them to try something new :D Now they're hooked and I changed the icon back to the regular Firefox icon :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!