Google Blogoscoped

Forum

2.5Gb/s speed internet to be launched in france

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, July 26, 2006
18 years ago2,608 views

"Presence-pc at reports that France Telecom just announced they are offering 2.5 Gb/s Internet connections to select cities in the Paris region. For ... $85(70 Euros) a month you also get free phone and TV. From the article (in French): 'The historical operator opted for a GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Network) FTTH architecture (Fiber To The Home). This technology allows up to 2.5 Gbits/s download and 1.2 Gigabits/s upload.'"

Wonder what will you do with that much speed ?

> i could download a DVD movie in just 5 Seconds
> Yahoo.com launches in nano seconds....
> Watch YouTube without streaming

i could simply say faster that opening our own folders........

They are very lucky .........

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It would speed up my digital television (it so slow now...).

TOMHTML-> Will you sign up?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hey hey ;-) I could be cool and a good idea.... but useful not for check my e-mails or read Google Blogoscoped posts.
Indeed, there're not stupid : ok 2,5 Gbps, but they will do that some Internet Provider (including mine...) are doing now : they block the ports used by P2P programs such as eMule, Bit Torrent, etc. So, except for watch TV or films on net, it's not really useful.

Did you know that about 98% of France terrotiry is covered by DSL (and more)?
So speed is not really a problem actually, except for webTV and for piracy...

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The blocking, is that part of the contract? For as far as I know, my provider does allow all ports and that's the way it should be I think...

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

No, for example my provider ("Free.fr") have blocked these *useful* ports 2 weeks ago, without any annonce or something like that...

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"Watching streaming video with standard-definition TV quality off the Internet needs only two to three megabits" <-quote from Wall Street Journal, 7/25/06

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

When in USA, When in USA, When in USA.

Then again who really needs 2.5Gig/s.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

high speed networks is great..I have seen the ca4/oc192 dark fibre networks at play with a P2P tunnel ..

there will be time when the users owns the fibre and connects to the carrier of choice..!!

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Does Anyone know when we will have this kinda facility in India>

In Indian Everyhome should atleast have 20mbps but we are getting only 512 kbps or less..........

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Haochi: you're right. But that's enough than for only one stream.

If you use multiple streams e.g. one for watching and one for recording. Then you'll need already double capacity. If you have then some computers accessing the Internet, you even need more.

So the more capacity the better, it will never be enough. If you asked people in good old BBS dialup time if they need more than 50 Kbps, they declared everybody crazy...

So think out of the box ;-)

And btw higher capacity connections with low cost will make the price of the lower connections go down, that could be an other reason to hope that this will be available everywhere very soon...

(It's only a pitty for my Telecommunication stocks but since 2000 they are just good enough as a kind of sad literature ;-)).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!