Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Blogger's Back  (View post)

RC [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, January 26, 2005
19 years ago

The only part missing is:

"they started off the day with a financials presentation, which was actually quite interesting. of course, i understand that they obviously will put a positive spin on everything, but the weight of the raw numbers is undeniable. both google's profits and revenue are growing at an unprecedented rate even while they are increasing their expenditures on capital and human resources. not to mention that google has been primarily focused on the u.s. market and is now turning their full attention to the global marketplace.

so after the interesting financials, the products team gave presentations reviewing product performance in 2004 and giving sneak peeks of the products we'll unveil in 2005. if you guys thought g**il and google groups were cool, you ain't seen nothing yet!"

It is now replaced with:

"they started off the day with a financials presentation, then the products team gave presentations reviewing product performance in 2004."

I think i understand ;)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

So Google basically just asked him to remove the financial details – completely reasonable.

By the way, your tip here yesterday caused quite a stir in blogspace. Check Technorati for "Mark Jen":
http://www.technorati.com/cosmos/search.html?rank=&url=%22mark+jen%22

Graham Roberts [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Very well handled by Google. Proper management in action – can they do anything wrong?

RC [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Wow... that is neat. the power of blogs. Go Philipp!! ;)

Google is such a cool company eh ;)

dave bug [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

From what I can tell, the original first post also seems to be missing, and we get a new disclaimer on the right-side. But, yeah, pretty reasonable changes. Be interesting to see if he becomes less critical, knowing that Google will be closely watching.

stephen [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

so even a faux-pas, they look good. teflon – we all need some of that.

stephen
www.think-ebiz.com

Anonymous Coward [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I've just reposted the missing part on his blog.

Also, I missed the point but where are the sensitive informations ?

justin [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

not only was financial info given out in the original post, but global corporate strategy

"google has been primarily focused on the u.s. market and is now turning their full attention to the global marketplace."

ouch – not a good idea to blog about that – especially in the hyper-competitive world that Google operates in. In my view, Google are playing an enormous game of chess, and are banking on always being two steps ahead of Microsoft and Yahoo...

hence the secrecy – and i dont blame them , quite honestly.

BB [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

What financial news, what secrecy? There were any numbers just usual stuff you can hear about Google nowadays. Lot of noise for nothing.

Popmonkey [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Yes, but when coming from an actual Google employee that noise is much more meaningful. Companies like Google and most software companies have always been very clear to their employees that things stay on the inside. Remember Spence the Katt? That column thrived on anonymous tips from the inside. Doing what Mark did was downright stupid. Not to mention he knows very little about the Sillicon Valley if he thinks that Google is the only one trying to get the most out of their employees through onsite perks. Guess he never heard of Apple, the local pioneers in that arena. Or Netscape. Hell, I wonder what he'd think of the Microsoft campus in Redmond...

Good job Google.

Justin [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

he's just updated his blog
http://99zeros.blogspot.com/2005/02/official-story-straight-from-source.html

Nathan Weinberg [PersonRank 8]

19 years ago #

Phillip, I wouldn't correct Mark's capitalization. He seems to be doing it on purpose :-)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!