Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Toolbar Defends Against Other Search Engines  (View post)

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

Monday, July 31, 2006
17 years ago7,537 views

Did you also disable the "notify me on settings change" option? If so, I agree that that's a little evil. Good catch.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Judging from Ionut's screenshot the "notify" option is a sub-option of the "search with Google" option, so it ought to be automatically disabled when you disable the "search with Google" one. Everything else would be sneaky...

H [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

but if you download and use the google toolbar, then you want google. it's absurd to think their behaviour is "evil" at all. of course they want you to use their engine if they give you free and innovative software!

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You don't have to judge from what I said. The toolbar is available at http://toolbar.google.com/T4/?rd=f .

The option is enabled by default and it's tied with "search with Google as a default search engine".

The notifier is always on no matter what you do (close IE, disable the settings) and it uses up to 3MB of RAM. The only solution I found is to delete the file (or to rename it).

David Berkowitz [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I'm still annoyed that when you use Google Desktop sporadically (my laptop can only take so many programs running at once) and then close it down, it asks every single time, "launch Google Desktop at startup?"

No, goshdarnit, and I won't give in, no matter how many times it asks. Argh.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

A possible defense against Microsoft IE7 perhaps ?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I unchecked the option to enable this when I installed the latest version of the toolbar, yet GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe still has a process running on my machine.

As Ionut pointed out on his blog, the Readme.txt file clearly states, "As long as this feature remains enabled, GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe will run silently in the background" and this obviously isn't the case.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google says it's a bug and they'll fix it.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Has anyone heard about the fake google toolbar that is used as a trojan!!

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ya I have, but it was quite a while ago wasn't it.

Wasn't it hosted on Google Pages or something.

dts [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

New slogan at Google workplace..
"Let's do some evil now"

dts..............
[signature removed]

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I find nothing wrong with it. Every company does this.

Google is trying hard to make itself the Default Search in IE. Almost every Google program I downloaded recently had an option to make Google the default Search in IE.

I guess Firefox they don't care. They're at the top now, Default Home Page and Default Search in Right Context Menu (when selected text)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!