Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail's limitations

alterego [PersonRank 2]

Monday, June 28, 2004
20 years ago

I send a fair amount of e-mail to my account from academic databases, and sometimes they are rather long messages. When the messages reach a point in length, which I am so far unable to define, Gmail clips them. It looks like this:

"use Myers realized researchers would use
correlational methods for the MBTI, she provided continuous scores to ensure consistency in reporting these data. Researchers w...

[Message clipped]"

The specifics of one such message are as such:

102kb of plain text
51 pages
102,369 characters.

102K sounds like a strange limit.

Another limitation is that, at this current moment I have 30 such e-mails in the same conversation. If I choose 'expand all' I receive a javascript popup which says "Oops... the system was unable to perform your operation. Please try again in a few seconds." No matter how many seconds I wait it never works.

Another limitation: Perhaps I would like to forward this entire conversation to a colleague? It is quite frustrating to go through message by message and forward each one individually. I'd like to see an option to "Forward this conversation".

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

20 years ago #

Hmm, that's bad. 100K is also the limit for web pages in the Google index (it will cut them after 100K). Guess we should alert Gmail Support of this.

alterego [PersonRank 2]

20 years ago #

I did send it to them. It'd prolly help if you did too though.

alterego [PersonRank 2]

20 years ago #

Do you think it'd be fair that since we are allowed 10MB attachments we should be allowed 10MB of text as well in the body of the message?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

20 years ago #

I think something along the lines of 3 MB main text and 20 MB attachment would be nice. Wether or not we can expect them to be fair is another issue...

john.mull [PersonRank 0]

20 years ago #

I noticed this independently, requested a fix, but have heard nothing so far. Googled for "gmail message length clipped" and found the forum. Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not just another idiot :)

john.mull[put at-character here]gmail.com

americancajun [PersonRank 0]

20 years ago #

Any of you guys know where I might be able to pick up an invite to gmail, or will I have to fork over money?

choco [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

same problem. so do i, i thought ok, the database search results would be big, i might as well make use of gmail. then i realise they get clipped. now i have to the searches again and have the results sent somewhere else...

GTJ04 [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I was having the oops...the system is unable... bla bla bla... but I found a quick fix to fix IE. Enable the windows firewall on the network connection under properties enable all feature on the firewall and presto your fixed.

JASON [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

GOOD NEWS. To view the full message when you have a [message cliped] error is quite simple. Goto Options at the top of the message. Then Click on show origional. In a new window you will have the entire text message with encoding and all and its not cliped.
Thought I would share. Thanks for having this forum.

narayanan [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

facing the oops message problem.. whenevr i try to send a mail.. Never have i succeded in sending the mail at the first shot. The mails contain only the typed text information and i guess shud be of the of the order 4kb!!!!
What is fix for this problem?

tarzants [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

When I enable the windows firewall, the Oops-problem disappear, but after I read one message, the problem appear again~~

tarzants[put at-character here]gmail.com

theflemming [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

If you use the show original all formating disappears. I was sent a long table pasted into the message text. but it is difficult to use the data when it is not in a table...... this [ message clipped] is the worst thing about gmail. i hate it

gmailsucks [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

What's the point of having 2.5 gigs of space if you can't even view a complete message?!? I say they should just stick to 1 gig and let us view our messages WITHOUT these dumb limitations! Quoting from some online media: "Google creates elegant free software...", bs.

jonnyc [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I'm flabbergasted that there isn't a fix for the "message clipped" problem. It baffles me.

I too would like to see the second half of the table that was included in my email, but the message is clipped and when I switch to "show Original" it loses all formatting and is unreadable.

VERY annoying.

solo31 [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The easiest way around the message clipped problem is to save the text page you get under "show original" as a .eml file (email). You can then open it with Thunderbird, Outlook Express or most other mail clients and it will be formated as it is under gmail.

But I agree a fix (like the "show quoted test" feature) should be easy enough to implement for Google.

Just found the "message text garbled?" link in "more options" shows you the complete email in a new window...

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Why doesn't everyone email gmail-support then so they take notice? much more likely to take notice of 50 emails instaed of just 1 or 2. I've written them one.

-- I want my google calendar

wacky [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=9377&topic=1564

this doesnt help .... show original didnt show the original .. but it seems to output garbled characters ... i guess its becz of the character formating?

HellMind [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

There must be a better solution
Some google hack that format the damn message from the source :(

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

it's not an issue anymore. clipped messages have a link to show the rest.

HellMind [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

yeah but it also got a limit

and i must do another click -_-

i ll just divide my big emails in 100k :(
i ll ve like 1millon emails

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If you notice the top of your gmail account, the "new features" button is clearly removed. Chatted with a couple of people and we suspect that within the next couple months you'll see a big rollout of new features (from user suggestions hopefully :-) and google is prepping people to see the announcement.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!