Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Idea for GDS

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

Monday, August 14, 2006
17 years ago2,551 views

correct me if i'm wrong: Google Desktop Search detects any file changes and indexes them. So basically, when i download or edit something, it has to run both my Antivirus and GDS. Wouldn't it be theoritcally possible to create a gadget in GDS that protects against viruses (or built this in GDS in any way)? I know pratically this would be hard, but am I right about seeing this as possible?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Makes sense to me. Google could team up with Norton or a similar anti-virus provider...

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The recent article about using Google's binary search to hunt down virus rang to mind when I saw this post
http://www.pcworld.com/article/126371-1/article.html?RSS=RSS
If an antivirus firm supplied the binanries it's concievable that GDS could be used to search your files for matching binaries...Neat idea Ramibotros

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google Antivirus? That's too much.

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

-"Google Antivirus? That's too much."
All they have to say is "We make gathering (virus) information easier and that way users get happy. We'll have statistics about viruses and a network between all our users and etc.."
Someday Google Desktop search was way too much for Google to make, but they always surprise us anyways.

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Awesome. Google is already starting to protect its users from badwares site. Protection from virus would be also an welcoming thing. But the thing is that to me Google is more about online solution and it would be very hard to protect the thousand holes of Windows. ;)

By the way which solution are they using to scan for virus in Gmail Attachment?

May be they can team up with them. Or an open source AntiVirus if available.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!