Google Blogoscoped

Forum

help with Gmail labels !!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Monday, August 14, 2006
17 years ago2,847 views

Note: Please interprate the "x" to read as unix pipe char. PL fourm does not permit this special char.

Ok i have this wierd issue with a Labels.

1) I had created the label titled – "R x Mail Stuff" – circa (mid 2005)
2) I created Filter to label any inbound email from a specific email addy to be labeled with "R x Mail Stuff"
3) Now when I try to search with that lable ["R x Mail"], gmail is converting this into a char set-- other then what I specfied. It reads as [label:R---mail-Stuff] within searchlet

My auto filtering and label efforts has now become a redunant process. How can I create a process to relabel all email from this specfic source ?

Suggestions /Comments ?? Hacks ?? anything welcome!!

here is a screen shoot.

http://slash.pd.googlepages.com/mylabel.png

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

What's the problem, now when you can apply filters to the existing messages?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

on the web search don't they use it to mean "or"?
example ("character" = line thingy)
filetype:wmv "character" filetype:avi

Would search for both Wmv and Avi files. Maby it does something similar in Gmail so you would have

label:label 1 "character" label:label 2

The symbol would probably mess with the search and confuse Google

Or I could be completely wrong.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Can you search for [label:"r mail stuff"] without the "|"?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Nope-- as wierd as it sounds the label commend convert itself like this

label:R---mail-Stuff "searchterm" returns some results

however the same with true type char label: R [pipechar]mail-Stuff "searchterm" gives no results.. this implies that the char set of the lable is not matching the true char within the searchlet..

From this i infer that the ASCII pipechar is being translated into the "---" char symbol...whatever that means..

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

can't u go through ur existing filters, select the "reduntant" filter of urs and see all the results it targets then apply smth new to them?

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hey I have faced another problem. I had removed a mail from my sent items to trash and then wanted to get it back. The only option in trash was MOVE TO INBOX. I clicked that and it was in my sent items as well as in the Inbox (Only on conversation which was sent from my account). It also has a label named INBOX. but i cannot remove the label anymore.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> It also has a label named INBOX.
> but i cannot remove the label anymore

Have you tried to click "Archive"?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!