Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The explosive growth of Google Base

george wilson [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, August 29, 2006
17 years ago2,231 views

Is Google Base growth real?

Conclusion: Google Base listings are growing measurably and consistently. In analyzing search categories that I have been monitoring for the past six weeks the answer is unquestionably yes. I leave for others to perhaps address the questions that I do not have an answers to. What does this Base growth mean? Will this Base information be used? How (or will) the information be monetized.

This information was obtained each week from the search feature on the Google Base main page. Over the past six weeks starting on July 21, I monitored on a seven-day basis, six general listing categories on Google Base. These disparate categories were, 1. House for Sale, 2. Apartment for Rent, 3. Lake George, 4. Antique Chair, 5. Used Tractor and 6. Toyota Rav. In virtually all categories the listings grew each and every week.

"House" for Sale listings have grown from 199,000 to 779,000 homes. "Apartment for Rent" listings have grown from 130,000 to 236,000 units. "Lake George" listings from 3,410 to 9,710. " Antique Chair from 2,700 to 15,900. "Used Tractor from 803 to 13,700 and Toyota Rav from 3,010 to 5,280. The percentage increases are in the 100-300% range.

The growth of these listings each shows a steady, measurable growth week over week. Is this a representative pattern applicable to all of Google Base? This is a question I do not have the capacity to answer yet instinct says Google Base is expanding dramatically. What are these implications of the growth of Google Base?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Would love to see some Hitwise stats.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Maybe it's because of DE and UK versions, which may attract people? What do you think about that?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!