Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Eric Schmidt's Click-Fraud?  (View post)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, September 5, 2006
17 years ago4,572 views

That lady (or something) doesn't know that all clicks on Google ads from Google offices are filtered.

17 years ago #

<< Certain clicks are removed immediately from the logs before they are even “seen” by the online filters. This is done in order for these clicks not to be a part of the various statistics pertaining to the performance of the filters (and thus do not distort the filter performance results). Two main categories of such pre-filtered clicks are “test” clicks (when a click comes from the Google IP, i.e., is generated by one of the Google employees for testing purposes). The second category constitutes “meaningless” clicks, clicks that were improperly recorded in the log files and whose records, therefore, have some technical problems rendering these clicks either “unreadable” or meaningless. Needless to say, advertisers are never charged for such clicks, since they are removed even before the filtering process starts.

[ The Lane’s Gifts v. Google Report, Alexander Tuzhilin]

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Excellent point Ionut.

17 years ago #

(Updated the post.)

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

How good of a test is it if the click doesn't count? It sounds like it wouldn't even get far enough to get tested by the click fraud detection. The only thing that gets verified is the fact that the ad linked to a site?

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

By click fraud detection I mean the algorithms that check for things like too many clicks from a single IP, too many clicks by one person on a single ad, etc. (not clicks from within Google)

17 years ago #

You can always simulate that without charging advertisers.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I agree with Ionut – simulation is varied within their sandbox's!!

piotr [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Phillip, stop posting incorrect garbage to your website. I used to view this website highly, but now it's mostly cynical spam.

CPCcurmudgeon [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

What happens when a Google employee clicks on an ad from outside the
"internal" IP range?

17 years ago #

Piotr, please use your full name if you want me to react to this...

jsaltz [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

This is an abomination. Plain and simple.

Steve Ballmer docet: F*****g Eric Schmidt is a f*****g p***y.

'nuff said.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!