Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Niniane Wang, Googler  (View post)

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, October 17, 2006
17 years ago10,126 views

Great interview! (I'm currently learning Lisp)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Interesting conversation there, Philipp.

JV, you're 9 and you're learning a programming language? I sense some talent in the air!

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Seems to me the most significent thing said in this interview was -"There are fairly rigorous Google coding conventions for each programming language. They’re enforced company-wide rather than for each team".
Makes it that much easier to integrate various projects, like they have been promising to do.

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I always wonder what brilliant people like these come to Egypt for...

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ramibotros: you're egyptian?
I do like Egypt too, but maybe I'm not brilliant :P

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I wonder if she also has a 14 hour work day like Marissa:
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-06-12.html#n76

Andrei N. [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Great stuff here!... but not that food.. unaghi ... it looked ...fishy!
Anyway... programming at 10 years...that's great!

Go for it Googlers!

Jack Hynes [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Interesting interview, thanks Philipp.

Cristian Mezei [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

Philipp man. I read the whole interview. Your questions were so cool.

Cristian Mezei [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

PS: Digg it :

http://digg.com/tech_news/An_interview_with_Niniane_Wang_Googler_by_Philipp_Lenssen

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Philipp, are you working for Google now, because I do believe you should replace their HR department.

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

... and since she loved Google news and liked it a website, one can think that her confidential project is closely related to google news features.

Suresh S [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Famed Google chef Charlie Ayers left the Googleplex do you know why?
she asked to make UNAGI he he ;)

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Elias: I'd be surprised if that were the case. One thing to keep in mind with Niniane is that professionally, she's been primarily a C++ Windows programmer – unsurprisingly her big project with Goog to date has been Google Desktop.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I remember reading that her current project is "in social space" but couldn't locate that quote anymore... and questions asked in that direction in this interview remained unanswered. :)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

11/2005 – present, Tech lead, confidential project

* Envisioned and chartered a confidential project in the social application space. Spec'ed out vision and got buy-in from execs.

the new orkut ??:)_

John K [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Philipp – why don't you work for Google?

My guess is that Niniane's social space project would be perfect for Philipp.

I can't find your chat forum with avatars Philipp? Where is that?

Cat [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Nice interview. I really enjoyed the questions you presented to her and her answers were just as interesting.

Thanks for sharing this.

17 years ago #

John, I want to report on Google, not work for them (if they'd want me).
The chat's at http://blogoscoped.com/chat/

Secret admirer [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

is it only me? i think she is cute.

Uzair [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Here's a question: how does Google reward people who propose/lead these in-house startups? Is it just a bigger bonus or is there more to it?

Jay Be-el [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

All those brains and an AMAZING rack, too!

Secret Admirer [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I worked with Niniane indirectly way back during the development of Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2004. This was in 2002. Niniane was chiefly responsible for some wonderful art work up in the sky! Ask her about "Cloud Imposters" some day if you get to meet her and you want to break the ice.

She's a very talented person who deserves this chance at Google to do wonderful things with technology. Congrats Niniane, best of luck with this endeavor!

alan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Avocado wrapped in <i>Fennel Cake</i>? With <i>chocolate chips</i> on top? Yeah, that'd rock my world too, but not in a good way. If that's what they do to an avocado, what do they wrap the unagi in?

Bat Boy Jr. [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Don't knock it 'til you tried it, Alan! I had that too, and it is world-rocking!

Support Freedom! [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Excellent interview and I wish Niniane a great career at Google!

I'd like to invite Niniane and all Googlers to spend some of their 20% time to help bring internet freedom to the people in China and other countries.

It's a way to use the technology YOU CONTROL for freeing rather than helping to enslave humanity. And if good people allow internet censorship to continue and expand, we will be powerless when the very same technology is used against us.

China's dictatorship is extremely fragile and is propped up in great part by the silicon grip of technology--and of course many guns. If for just a month the Chinese people could communicate freely, the regime would collapse, and freedom would blossom.

The rewards, if you accept the duty and honor, would be priceless and satisfying for both you and more than a billion people around the world.

Z33kPhr3@k [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

give us a break Nini!

you are sooooooooooooo close. admitting you make mistakes is the first step to recovery. next time someone tells you in an interview that you have thread errors in your gdesk LSP, listen up. the rest of the industry shouldn't have to patch the stack around [Personal attack removed. -Philipp]

and basic at age 5. bull$hit!

17 years ago #

Niniane asked me to add this – think she's on a plane to Egypt right now :)

<<I love working with my team. As our QA engineer said, "Every
single person on the team is such a superstar!" I also love that we
have a lot of laughter in our cubes. We invented slang that's now in
UrbanDictionary, we held a gross-off contest of telling disgusting
stories, we dressed up in cowboy costumes for a murder mystery
event... It's awesome.>>

Not LISP! [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Wonder why.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!