Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Suggestions for New Google Operators  (View post)

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, October 19, 2006
17 years ago8,591 views

Great ideas, but Google will never allow this for instance:
alllinks:example.com

They hide most of the backlinks to discourage link buying and selling.

But Yahoo shows you all links, even the nofollow ones.
linkdomain:example.com

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Just like google doesn't show the entire Pagerank. The pagerank we all see is just the rounded version. They might put some of your suggestions in Tools for Webmasters. Then they could always block certain accounts... i guess

Andreas Schneider [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

forsale: example.com

Andreas Weygandt [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

- affiliate

See posting “Give me back my Google” – Show Google results “without the annoying affiliate links” or comparison engines.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Regarding an images: operator, you can add "pics" to a search and generally get a onebox that links you to image search (ie. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pics+eiffel+tower).

Of course, that does still require an additional click that wouldn't be necessary if there was an operator.

Which reminds me of another strange behavior. If I type "eiffel tower" in the search box and click on the Images link above the search box, I land on the image search page (but not on the results for eiffel tower). In contrast if I type the same terms and click on News, I am taken to the news results for eiffel tower immediately. It is a strange inconsistency, and I never know if clicking one of those links is going to take me straight to results or not.

Steffen Mazanek [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

How is google performing in finding new stuff? I could imagine, that there are better sources of information for news than a search engine. I guess the crawlers get a particular page just every now and then, doesn't them?

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They actually had an undocumented feature a while back where the "link:" results could be sorted by PageRank (I think it was "+link:"), but they removed it, pity.

Amit C [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I would suggest one which sends queries to different services
map:<addr>
directions:<addr1> to <addr2>
news:
image:
and so on

Amit

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I like that idea, Amit, but the only trouble would be... who would use it? Only hardcore Googlers would know how to.

Emanuel [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I wouldn't expect to see whois: anytime soon, whois information is so sparse and even though Google is an accredited registrar they don't have complete bulk access to other registrar's whois data.

John Honeck [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Supplemental:example.com would be nice to see.

raza [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

frag:examp

searches for the text fragment 'examp' anywhere in the page. (i.e. shexamp, example, thexampaflorid etc.)

anon [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

man:{unix_command_name} for the manual entry.

Martin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

How about proximity and order of words? For instance sentence:("firstword" "secondword") or paragraph:("firstword" "secondword") and variations on this. I think google does a little bit of this behind the scenes but I have found times in which I would kill to have been able to explicitly state this.

Josh Gowan [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

# Privacy

If you append the phrase "#privacy" at the end of a query on any search engine or site search, your query should not be tracked by IP or cookie, and should not be made public in keyword tools.
http://www.poundprivacy.org

Brad [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

site:www.site1.com,www.site2.com,etc

Specify multiple sites to search against

Intruder #to2600 [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

For Lang followers, how about:

passwords:example.com – password files
inject:example.com – SQL and other code injections, including XSS
SSN:example.com – personal information
IP:example.com – supposedly protected Intellectual Property
sad:example.com – clearly outdated web applications
bak:example.com – any backup files
adm:example.com – unpassworded administrator/root pages

I'm sure there are a few more. Can't wait to see them implemented!

Support Freedom! [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You knew I'd add something to this list--too good to resist! Are you reading this, Google?

Here you are:

censored:text – shows pages containing your search text which are censored in Google.cn

censored:all – Returns the complete list of pages censored in Google.cn, ranked by popularity.

Anon, Ye Mouse [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Since we already have "define:(word)", how about we add:
"syn:(word)"
"ant:(word)"
Or maybe just "thes:(word)" for a general thesaurus?
"spell:(word)" for when the word you want isn't the 'did you mean' response
"wiki:(arbitrary string)" which returns known wiki pages related to that string

I can think of several, but these are the ones I want the most. Especially Wiki.

Josh [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Searching meta tags would be very cool. (Any meta tag)

It would be cool if you could put meta tags in a webpage, and be able to just search that one field. For example, AuthorName – you could put a tag on your webpage, and if you searched for that tag on google, you could view only results that had an AuthorName tag.

It'd be interesting to see what the web came up with for that.

anonym [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

adult: opertator would be gr8

anonym [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

.ISO: ISO CD Image
.rar:

why not add one ":" for every FILE EXTENTION..

Personman [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

Of those suggested, I'd like the sentence/paragraph proximity ones the most... Also:

literal:"hELlo?!"

matches capitalization, punctuation, etc. I want this SO often.

Tue Abrahamsen [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

Not quite the topic discussed, but I would really like to be able to search with a regular expression. Kind of like Google Code Search can. That is awesome :)

Tgr [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

<i>inlink:foo – returns only pages that use “foo” as the link text</i>

inlinktext: and allinlinktext: seems to do that.

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tuning youtube.com , it will be:

playall:sony.com
playfun:sony.com

watchall:google-kai.com

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i'm certainly wishing for "ram*" which could return "ramibotros" or similar words, even if there is no space in the phrase

anonym [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

you can search by filetype (extension) just use the filetype: modifier.

For instance to find all txt files that contain the word mp3 enter this in google:

mp3 filetype:txt

FeralTitan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

For any search criteria appending a '##find:example.com' should list page number and entry number of the domain in that google search.

for example

six sigma forums ##find:treqna.com

this should throw up the following result

www.treqna.com Page 1 entry 4 – Goto the search

Cheers

ujang [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

great operator all the above ^_^.

because allinurl (xyz) sometimes shows irrelevant result, I would suggest to search by range of country domain prefix for example.

doprefix (domain prefix)

example:
doprefix: .my = result of (*) from Malaysia website
doprefix: .us = result of (*) from US website
doprefix: .cn = result of (*) from China website

* = anything such as image, video, text, url etc.

thanks.

FofR [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

"all:search term"

It searches all of google's services and displays the top result for each one with a clickable/expandable box that shows the next five results, for instance.

FofR [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Hmmm, this has lead me to create an extensive post covering my concerns and thoughts on Google's current position with regards to product integration: http://fofr.trivialbeing.net/2006/10/polish-up-old-google.php

Anonymous [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Regular expression searches

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!