Google Blogoscoped

Forum

YouTube Deletes ~30,000 Videos  (View post)

dzitran [PersonRank 0]

Friday, October 20, 2006
17 years ago4,692 views

Its common. I got a buddy whose Japanese vid postings were taking down due to copyright infringement during pre-google times.

Jack Hynes [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Although it's a massive removal, USA Today reports that in July,

"More than 65,000 videos are now uploaded daily to YouTube, up from around 50,000 in May, the company said."

So in context it's not that massive a removal – although this sort of action is bound to continue.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think to get a clear picture you have to consider the percentage of views the removed videos got. As a calculation example, when 50% of the people circle around 5% of the content (maybe just look at hot top ten lists and so on), and Google removes 2.5% of all videos that however happen to be that hot content, then that's a big share of a quarter of the page views on YouTube. Imagine all instances of the Daily Show + Colbert Report get removed. Maybe that's only 20,000 videos or so, but I bet it makes up a big part of YouTube's appeal. Similarly, I bet whacky Japanese game shows are a big part of the YouTube fun...

Anonymous Googler [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Bear in mind that the acquisition hasn't closed. Until then, YouTube's current management is who's deciding what videos get removed, not Google.

Vincent Abry [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Nice beginning, guess that would be more and more like this..

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Is this 'Anonymous Googler' real. Nice to have you here.

And about the topic. 30,000 videos – a very huge number. I wonder how will the YouTubers react.

FofR [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

with webcam parodies?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

my firends have all been complaining to me because they know i'm a follower of le google and they know of the aquisition. i wonder what the effect will be in the long run

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!