Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Predictions Reality Check  (View post)

FofR [PersonRank 2]

Saturday, October 21, 2006
17 years ago4,685 views

I'm waiting and want to predict a firefox plugin or feature for search history so that it can store all searches you make on any site, or alternatively for the sake of privacy and security, one which saves history for domains / search boxes you specify.
I'd find this helpful for sites like Wikipedia and YouTube. I like to browse what I have browsed.

Those predictions are spot on though and I applaud your accuracy. I too am also waiting patiently for an image comparison tool.

Meoip [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Image comparison is being foreshadowed. I would imagine that’s one of the ways they are going to use the data they collect from the image label ‘game’ they have. They need to learn what a given photo is in simple language before comparing them and finding matches.

James Bradbury [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

The image labeler game actually springs from a Tech Talk that was at Google by a person who makes the game "ESP game" at www.espgame.org which is exactly the same. The techtalk is on Google Video.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Google Live Connect " – thats a powerful concept...!!

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Google Speech Search" – Google did have this once thru their Google Labs page. I remember there was a telephone # you call and showed you samples on how to search for "pizza" and scroll/navigate thru results using the dialpad numbers... but ofcourse it was a Beta product.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Josue what I meant was that Google analyzes e.g. MP3 files to extract words (some speech to text engine) which you can search for using a normal text input box. So you search for say "foo" and you get a podcast from somewhere where someone says "foo"... and you get a nice lil' player in the result which plays just the snippet for you under fair use. Something like this, but actually scaled to the full web, and working very well (not like some other services I saw in this direction which were a nice start but not quite it).

Martin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Google Maps is very very far from covering the whole globe.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm impressed with what Google have done with Maps. It's probably one of the most worked-on products from them.

Jj [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

What about google image labeler, it will surely help achieve the related pictures prediction

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

At this point, Maps doesn't need to cover the whole world. The vast majority of searches are for a small area.

Google has put and will continue to put a huge amt of effort into local. They think it will be HUGE.

shamess [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

RE: “Google understanding image content“

Didn't they recently buy an image recognition company?

zmarties [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They are currently advertising to fill jobs that may involve "document image understanding" and "pattern recognition"

http://www.google.com/support/jobs/bin/answer.py?answer=30294

Freddy [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Still some cool ideas, let's hope google is reading this ;)

Khurrum [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Google Image Labeler (http://images.google.com/imagelabeler/) is kind of like a combination of “Google Image Comparison" and "Google Live Connect"

icekin [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

IRC Junky (http://www.ircjunky.com/) currently provides a way to search through past IRC conversations from certain channels.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!