Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Storage Increase  (View post)

patrick [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, April 5, 2005
19 years ago

Well, if you look at the javascript in the source of the gmail page, you 'll see three timestamps:

[ 1112331600000, 1025],
   [ 1112439600000, 2050],
   [ 1113062400000, 2075

These map to:

Fri Apr 01 2005 00:00:00 GMT-0500
Sat Apr 02 2005 06:00:00 GMT-0500
Sat Apr 09 2005 12:00:00 GMT-0400

The numbers after the timestamps are the planned(?) quotas for that time. The javascript continually calls the updateQuota() function to figure out how far along between timestamps we are.

So even though we doubled our space between April 1st and 2nd, we'll only get another 25MB on the 9th.

[This was all done with a cursory reading of the code... I could be wrong.]

patrick [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I guess what I meant to say was this: The number calculated by the javascript is steadily increasing, but we don't know how that matches with the rate that Google is actually adding disk space to our accounts. Currently, I'm at 2061 MB, which matches the javascript.

If they really are staging the disk space at the same rate as this javascript says, then we're getting 2.44 KB/m

mailman [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

A company called Mail2World.com is now offering FREE unlimited storage to all its users!

Check it out at http://www.mail2world.com

Jozer99 [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

They could actually be doing it. Think of it like this: You e-mail quota is not actually space reserved for you on a disk somewhere, if it was, to increase everyone's quota would mean physically changing the size of your reserved space, as well as everyone elses, and would mean lots of shuffling around and hard drive activity. Luckily, thats now how it works. Your quota is more of a guideline. The space your account takes up on Google's massive disk arrays is only equal to how many emails you actually have. For instance, I have 250MB of emails in my account, so my disk quota is actually 250MB. The account size google shows is a maximum disk quota. So if my account ever gets to be that maximum, it won't let me write any more emails to their disks. It would be almost as easy programming-wise to represent this maximum as an equation that changes with time and it would be to represent it with a constant. I would be that you would be able to fill your gmail account up to the last KB quoted, then come back a minute later and fill up those new couple of KB. However, the storage increase is slowing down. The quota increased from 1024 to 2048 (although they said 1000 to 2000) instantaniously on April fools day. Since then it has been a decaying rate of increase, to the point now where we only get a KB or so a day.

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

mine i s
You are currently using 27 MB (1%) of your 2750 MB.

hope it wil be 3 gb withing a year...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!