Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Mail Fetcher  (View post)

Jorg [PersonRank 1]

Saturday, December 9, 2006
17 years ago9,731 views

Maybe I'm looking at something else, but I'm already using this feature for over a year. I've got 4 email accounts and I receive them all in my gmail account and I can send under 1 of the 4 emailaccounts. I use this feature since around september 2005.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You mean "Settings -> Accounts"? Is it supposed to replace "Add another email address"?

17 years ago #

> I've got 4 email accounts and I receive them all in my gmail account

But do you use pop3 or your e-mail provider is just forwarding those mails to you gmail address?

17 years ago #

I have a special demon set up on my server that downloads e-mails from my old accounts (that don't support forwarding by them self) via pop3 and forwards them to my gmail account. I've helped many of my friends to make similar configuration. Now it will be a lot easier. I've waited for this future from the very beginning.

17 years ago #

You can digg this information under http://www.digg.com/software/New_in_GMail_Get_mail_from_other_accounts

Peter [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I've been using this feature for over a year also. I'm in the US.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes Ludwik, "accounts", not "account", I've fixed my post, thanks...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Peter and Jorg, do you simply forward email to your Gmail account?

maique [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

i've also been using this for some time to get all the mail from my other accounts.

i've had the 'accounts' tab for this for a long time.
i can't seem to understand if there's any difference.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I've asked the readers of my small blog to send some screenshots, if they see this feature. Guess what? They sent me screenshots for:

* POP3 settings
* Use Gmail to send from your other email addresses

Even I was able to understand this feature the first time I read the page from Gmail help.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Previous Discussion: http://blogoscoped.com/forum/78831.html

Andrei [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I don't see how this feature could be of very much use.
Most accounts that offer pop3, also offer forwarding.

jimmy dean [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

i've been doing this from my yahoo account since 2003. nice to do from gmail to, but they are just 'catching' up, not making other services obsolete.

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Andrei: Other than Gmail... enlighten me please. :-) The major email providers don't even offer pop3 retrieval unless you upgrade to the paid service. I could now be wrong though, because I've been a Gmail addict for way too long.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i have it enabled..
and Google hates me :P

17 years ago #

My ISP doesn't have mail forwarding. It also offers a 10 MB account :)

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

What use is this for people with Yahoo and Live accounts ? They don't have POP3 anyway.

17 years ago #

No use at all if you only have a Live/Yahoo account. But if you have work/college/university/school/other gmails etc it is great.

Has anyone got their account activated yet?

17 years ago #

<<What use is this for people with Yahoo and Live accounts ? They don't have POP3 anyway.>>

Is this Google's fault?

Fraser Smith [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

This could be the holy grail for those of us with multiple gmail accounts who want to merge them into one. This might allow that if you enable POP3 for all messages on the source account and using this new functionality on the destination account to get all of the messages from the source.

Please Google let this work, I've been waiting to switch to "Gmail for your domain" for a while and the inability to migrate my existing gmail account has been stopping me.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Fraser, between forwarding and adding more Email addresses, I've been doing as you say for a long time now. But this will make things nice because I can finally change the From: (which, the added email addresses appeared to do, but really they were sent on behalf of, which in outlook still showed people the Gmail address.
All that said, I have been using Google apps for a while now, so I coudl have gone that route :)

Charles [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I have it and love it!!

elyk [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Finally, all my requests pay off! I've emailed google at least ten times asking for this feature to be added (which I'd like to think makes me partially responsible for the addition) I haven't gotten it yet, but hopefully they'll add it soon

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

we can't say that other Mail clients are inferior to Gmail but reality is that Gmail is by far answering all of our daily task expectations.

I would love to see Gmail going wider into Mobile sector with faster Gmail Mobile search. :)

shellehs [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

dose that mean we can use gmail as outlook, as thunderbird?

Oliver [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It'd be nice of Google fixed its own POP3 service before fetching others, since they're still overriding the client's keep/delete settings.

17 years ago #

> Most accounts that offer pop3, also offer forwarding.
> The major email providers don't even offer pop3

I guess it's different in US. In Poland (almost?) all free and paid e-mail providers offers pop3, but very few of them offers e-mail forwarding.

jep [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Can someone give a screenshot of the new feature or so.

Adam Lasnik [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

One benefit of this now-being-rolled out feature that I haven't seen touched upon is the option to bring OLD mail into your Gmail account :-).

I had a bunch of old mail in Outlook PST files; I dragged them into an IMAP account I have on Airpost (mail provider), then POP'd the Airpost mail into my Gmail account.

It's awesome to now be able to find old mail licketysplit... AND retire most of my old PST files!

17 years ago #

Adam, good call!

I still have yet to see this feature.... will it be available in apps for your domain too?

17 years ago #

I'm still waiting on this feature. Any word how long until full roll out?

17 years ago #

No sign for me. (UK).

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Nothing for me yet either. (US)

Sander [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

No sign of it here too (NL). Is there anyone who already has this feature or are there any screenshots of it?

17 years ago #

Who knows? Maybe they fooled us.

Pierre S [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I do have it. (fr)
It's barely noticeable (pay attention) and there's no new features link

OREO [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

no sign here either!

Pri [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

I checked i DO have it. tried out the service and it works pretty well. the only problem is none of the other email addresses i use have POP3 access for free :[ (hotmail and mail.live.com)

17 years ago #

Could you type your username and password please? (just joking :)

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Its apparently rolling out slooooowly. I want it NOW! At what age do temper tantrums get old?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

WTF. I've got this on an account I setup (for someone else, of course) which never gets used yet I don't have it on my main account. There seems to be no logic to how this is getting rolled out... is it just down to the luck of the draw?

17 years ago #

Tony, can you send me the credentials (to adminpasster[put at-character here]gmail.com)? I really want to test this feature...

Jonas Flint [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Yep it is completely random. I read that from a post from a google employee...

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yeah i have it! This is a great use for me... Actually now Gmail becomes my Central Mail Hub.. Any i added my service provider email and also my domain email.... lol
Checkout the help link of google
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?ctx=%67mail&hl=en&answer=21288
here are the screenshots

http://www.dropfiles.net/filez/3343/mailfetcher.gif
http://www.dropfiles.net/filez/3343/mailfetcher2.gif
http://www.dropfiles.net/filez/3343/mailfechter3.gif

and this is the feature i was expecting for a long time... Thanks gmail for the new year feature

Helen Gregory [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I signed up yesterday to Gmail and I had this lovely feature. Set it up, and it was running fine but now it's gone!!!

This option has taken itself off my accounts tab!!!! The same has happened to my partner who was also up and running using it.

I think this is truely terrible that they should let you set something up and then take it away again! Anyone else had this problem????

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

If only. I have about 6 accounts, plus 23 managed through Google Apps. Not one has gotten it yet.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!