Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail API

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, January 4, 2007
17 years ago3,141 views

Just doing a bit of research for an article and thought I'd ask the experts:

To my knowledge Google has never offered an API to control Gmail, is this correct?

I've just read an article that suggested last year Google scrapped an API that gave Gmail users 'full control of their Gmail accounts' via an API and I think he's talking rubbish – but thought I'd check that I was right before calling him out :)

What say you Google watchers? Did such a thing exist and I missed it?

17 years ago #

The article in question is by Cody Willard:
http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/markets/activetraderupdate/10330485.html

...and my response is here:
http://radioactiveyak.blogspot.com/2007/01/response-to-cracks-spread-in-googles.html

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Here are three examples of Google's fumbles that I expect, over a very long time (say, 10 to 20 years), will be the company's undoing:"

This is a prediction for the future, not now.

17 years ago #

He's giving an example of three fumbles that they've made now, that are indicative of Google "opening the door [to its undoing] by shedding, purposefully or not, its original, revolutionary, open, good strategies.". They are in his words examples of 'cracks in the Google armor'.

Note the past tense on the examples, they are supposed to have happened already, his prediction is that they're an indicator of the companies long-term direction and ultimately will lead to their undoing.

17 years ago #

Quick Update: I've corresponded with Cody (who is a professor and writes for a number of influential papers including TheStreet.com and the Financial Times). He reaffirmed his belief that:

"They most certainly did and still do offer a Gmail api. But they've reduced its functionality."

On questioning him further he seems to have confused an unofficial open source project by Johnvy Hwang with an official Google API, though he has so far refused to concede that he was wrong.

If anyone's interested, I'm updating my blog entry (above) as I get new information.

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I highly doubt an API will be released if vulnerbilities were to be found later on. Its a big risk for Google!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!