Google Blogoscoped

Forum

GlobalWarming Awareness2007 SEO Contest  (View post)

Toms [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, January 17, 2007
17 years ago6,674 views

It is going to be fun to play on GYM!
We can yet see that google is much faster to index competitors than for the v7ndotcom elursrebmem contest. Yahoo is showing established sites even if they have only the keywords in a link. I'm giving a try to this, my entry is championcheap.com

Good luck to all seos.

[Link unlinked. -Philipp]

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Is the car hybrid?

Andy Beard [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I have the perfect linkbait for this one

alek [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

$10 that this Blogoscoped post shows up in the top-10 by tomorrow ... especially with the keyword rich title.

Stefan Juhl [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

What I find funny about this contest is the rules. As I see it you're pretty much able to get anyone disqualified with link spamming etc.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Good Question-- why give a car as the 1st prize. goes against the grain of the competetion.

Toms [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

lol remember seraphim proudleduck Philipp!

Michael Martinez [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

Matt Cutts did warn people not to participate in SEO contests. It will be interesting to see what the fallout rate is for SEOs who jump onto this bandwagon.

Traditionally, SEO contests provide no useful information for search engine optimization theory. People pretty much engage in link building from the start, which is not search engine optimization at all.

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I took part in SEO contest before but this one here sucks for several reasons: It's just link building for the company that stages it. It will muddy the results for global warming and who the hell are they to call it the "world championship"?
Well, maybe they can raise awareness but if you look at the sites taking part now you just find nonsense.

But the SEO contest scheme works out for the organizers. The company that staged the carcasherdotcom seocontest was not in the Google top 100 for used cars. Now they are number four. It's like buying PageRank links, it works out, so who cares (besides me)?

alek [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I predicted yesterday: "$10 that this Blogoscoped post shows up in the top-10 by tomorrow ... especially with the keyword rich title."

And I now see Blogoscoped at #3 in the Google SERP's – did anyone take my bet?!? ;-)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Can't see it yet, maybe a datacenter difference...
do you have personalized search off?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Here's one where I'm seeing it at #3:

http://216.239.37.104/search?q=GlobalWarming%20Awareness2007

[ Try this:
http://www.webrankinfo.com/english/tools/google-data-centers.php]

Jan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

“globalwarming” is not so different from “global warming” for Google.
Check this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=globalwarming
Keyword sucks! White hat rules but big pollution.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"about 103,000 for GlobalWarming Awareness2007". Wow... When did this contest started?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tadeusz is right. You'll see a lot of sites like this one:
globalwarming-awareness2007-arshad.com

Hopefully, the results for [global warming] won't be affected.

17 years ago #

<< You'll see a lot of sites like this one:
globalwarming-awareness2007-arshad.com >>

Ah – you mean the one that tried to spam this forum with his links? Nice try... ;-)

Lovedeep Wadhwa [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

lol...Google Blogoscoped currently at the top with 12 points.

wow...what a guess Alek

Kev Polley [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Like others I was a bit worried about serps pollution on day 1 when a search at google for 'globalwarming' only bought up 'global warming' sites.

A few days in it looks none of the well known sites are being affected – provided we don't forget to put a space in between those words :)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<Google Blogoscoped currently at the top with 12 points>>

from the rules:
<<You must optimize for a new domain (created on or after January 15th this year).>>

Jim [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I keep on having a go at "the coolest guy on the planet" phrase for a laugh so doing the SEO competition phrase will be just for kicks too.

Mind you I did think a car and a cruise were the wrong prizes for the key phrases

Jim

17 years ago #

Their scoreboard doesn't know their own rules! Besides, I wouldn't want that car if they pick me. I've had it with SEO contests. :)

17 years ago #

But how gutted would you be if you'd invested loads of time, money and effort in trying to get your brilliantly optimized website to the top of the leaderboard only to find some blogger called Philipp Lenssen was there just because he made a short post to his blog!?

Regardless of what the rules are, Philipp's the people's champion!

;-)

Trogdor [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Interestingly, can see SEO BlackHat's post about the subject rising in the rankings. It's certainly controversial ... therefore, linkbait. It may run afoul of the rules (domain is older than 1/15/07), but it might end up winning the SERP anyway. That'd be funny.

m1t0s1s [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I could win this f****** contest in thirty days.

Gerard Roos [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

The site of the contest has vanished. It shows the default page of the provider.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/384614526_c5818629de.jpg?v=0

17 years ago #

Seems to be back up now, I can see its normal content...

Gerard Roos [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Yes it's back, I don't know how long it was gone.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!