Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail spam report

Juan k [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, May 26, 2005
19 years ago

Hi, how do you send spam report to gmail?
is it abuse[put at-character here] ?

I never get a reply

Juan K [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

why canĀ“t I use juan anymore?
i lost person rank

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Juan, I changed the forum so it will now check user names against very popular first names. The forum always asked for "first and last name" in the name field, but not many people listened to that... next to a registration, this is how I intend to tell people apart (and also assign "PersonRank"). I hope you understand. Also, you can send off an email to me and maybe we can resolve this.

Joseph [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

How can I report spam (or even worse) to Gmail?
When I receivedseveral bounced messages in my mail box with my email address but sent by unknown people I became worried. Is identity my email address on Gmail stolen?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Joseph, simply click on the "Report spam" button whilst selecting the email. This helps Google filter stuff.

P. Luna [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I am receiving commercail spam from rescateempresarial[put at-character here]gmail.com and capacitacioncontinua[put at-character here]gmail.com in my non Gmail account.

If those were serious consulting entities they would pay for a domain. Are they stealing the identity of Industry Chamber? It looks like it. Seminars coming from Gmail is not a believable offer.

Julie A. Michaels [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I have been receiving spam for the last couple of months in my gmail account.

I've been deleting all of them without opening any of them.

I tried to use the Report Spam button, but after reading the above spam questions and answers, I realize I need to check off all of the spam and THEN click Report Spam. I was deleting the spam first, then clicking Report Spam and obviously not getting my spam reported.

Please help me not receive anymore spam! Thank you.

JAPHspam [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

email:ca920105[put at-character here]gmail.com
I just like spam! I'm collocting junk email...

Sunil Nair [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

Juan, I changed the forum so it will now check user names against very popular first names. The forum always asked for "first and last name" in the name field, but not many people listened to that... next to a registration, this is how I intend to tell people apart (and also assign "PersonRank"). I hope you understand. Also, you can send off an email to me and maybe we can resolve this.
--------------------------------

Philipp, touche, and point taken.

Hereafter, will make sure that I include my surname too. Having said that, I just saw my PersonRank climb to 3 with just my given name only.

Lucas Novae [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Hmn. It's safe to say that, most likely, spam that seems to come from the gmail.com domain don't actually do. It's rather easy to spoof the "From" email, but it's quite impossible to spoof your IP address when sending mail.

If you want to report spam, I strongly suggest you start reporting to http://www.spamcop.net/ , it's free and it helps the whole world when you do it.

edoriv [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Report gmail spam to one of the following or both
abuse[put at-character here]google.com
abuse-gmail[put at-character here]google.com

You can almost always figure abuse[put at-character here] or at the very least postmaster[put at-character here] will be a valid place to report spam. postmaster[put at-character here] is part of the internet standards.

edoriv [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I'm sorry I should also have mentioned... as mentioned above...
I'm adding this information since people who may be looking for help with spam could search and find this thread and may not be technical or understand how email works. Not for the technical people that already know this.

The spam may actually NOT be FROM gmail... The retrun address is almost 100% forged in spam.

BE SURE WHO YOUR SPAM IS FROM...
Be sure to look for "Received: from" in the headers.

To look at the headers you can view the RAW SOURCE or LONG HEADERS of the email.

You should see something like this

Return-path: <xyz[put at-character here]xyzf43f43.com>
Envelope-to: you[put at-character here]yourmail_adresss.com
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 May 2006 04:52:19 -0400
Received: from jup by host.rgregre.com with local-bsmtp (Exim 4.52)
Received: from localhost by host.ergregerg.com
From: "some name" <ewfwe[put at-character here]wefewfe.com>
To: you[put at-character here]yourmail_domain.com

Return-path will be fake
as will be any other faked reply headers

in this example the mail most likely originated from ergregerg.com
You have to scan down the list of Received lines until you get to the last one. It's very difficult for them to spoof this. You may have more Received lines than you see here... Look for the last one in the list that should provide you with the originating source of the mail.

I hope this helps

Don't be too quick to hit reply on your spam and blame the person it default replies to... Very often you're just adding to the spam trouble by spamming a person yourself with a complaint about something they never did in the first place.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!