Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Recycled Gmail addresses?

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, February 14, 2007
17 years ago3,792 views

Arent they supposed to recycle email addresses?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I just wish.....they can recyle email addresses that have no activity oin them!!

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I want me old email address, and i know it's not in use.

HELP MATT CUTTS I KNOW YOU READ THIS BLOG hehe

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I something is important you take care of it! If someone takes over such an e-mail adres you can ask him/her to check for strange e-mails... he/she might even make a filter for you ;P

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Personally, I don't think they should recycle email addresses. If you create an email address and then delete it, that's your fault. There will always be enough to go around without re-using old ones.

Imagine you registered on some site and used your credit card to purchase something. By way of convenience, let's assume the site also allows you to purchase things using the same credit card without having to re-enter the details.

Now, what if they recycle the email address you used to register on that site and someone else gets it? Whoever now owns your email address might be able to request your password to be reset/resent to that email address and purchase something using your credit card...

I know it's a long shot but it *could* happen.

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

All I want – and I know this is both silly and unnecessary(!) – is to be able to add a dot to my gmail username. It's just that when I signed up I decided not to have one and now everyone's got one and I'm jealous. I know that emails with dots in get to me anyway, but it would be so nice to have a nice username with dot appear at the top of my signed-in pages. Pathetic, isn't it? Sigh...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Whoever now owns your email address might be able
> to request your password to be reset/resent to that email
> address and purchase something using your credit card...

Whoever owns your old email will now also be able to receive your private emails of those people who either don't know your email changed, or know but accidentally used your old address...

BUGabundo [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

[quote]
photoactive

All I want – and I know this is both silly and unnecessary(!) – is to be able to add a dot to my gmail username. It's just that when I signed up I decided not to have one and now everyone's got one and I'm jealous. I know that emails with dots in get to me anyway, but it would be so nice to have a nice username with dot appear at the top of my signed-in pages. Pathetic, isn't it? Sigh...
[/quote]
u can use dots on your email
just creat an alias on your setting using dots on were u want them, and tell ppl to use that address.
simple

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!